How To: Making a Desk Out Of An Antique Door
An antique door and some salvaged stair posts come together to create an eco-friendly desk.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
old balustrades or newel posts
1x2 board the same length as the door
1. Sand door down to natural wood leaving the finish in the recessed panes.
2. Clean and polish posts to bring out the natural beauty of the wood.
3. To create the desk's front supports, attach the posts to the bottom of the door by putting at least three screws through the door and into each post.
4. Carefully measure the height of the posts.
5. Secure a 1x2 to the wall at the same height as the posts to make sure the door will sit level. (It is best to nail the 1x2 into a stud, so you may have to adjust the height of the posts to match where the 1x2 will go.)
6. Nail the door to the 1x2 on the wall.
7. Place a piece of Plexiglas or tempered glass on top of the door to create a smooth work surface.
Want a movie-theater experience in your home? Learn how to build a home theater with step by step instructions from the pros at...