African Textiles Inspire Interiors
Incorporate African design into your home with these tips.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
If you want to incorporate African design into your home, where do you start?
Sharne Algotsson, owner of a product and design consulting firm and Twist, a lifestyles store in Philadelphia, is also the author of African Style Down to the Detail (Clarkson Potter, $32.50), Here he provides some answers:
- Do your homework. Visit the interior design section of bookstores and look for books that specialize in ethnic design or African design.
- Look at African textiles and objects in local museums or travel to areas that have museums with African collections.
- Visit local stores that sell African objects, furniture and textiles. See what's available.
- Choose your color schemes. Do you want Moroccan pastels or safari earth tones? Paint a wall brown or terra cotta and use an African mask or statue to get the feel.
- If you don't want to spend a lot of money, cover pillows with African-inspired fabric or just cover cornices with an African fabric and use sheer curtains.
What colors will our homes be wearing in 2006? Color expert and forecaster Aimee Desrosiers gives us a peek at the colorful...