African Textiles Inspire Interiors
Incorporate African design into your home with these tips.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
If you want to incorporate African design into your home, where do you start?
Sharne Algotsson, owner of a product and design consulting firm and Twist, a lifestyles store in Philadelphia, is also the author of African Style Down to the Detail (Clarkson Potter, $32.50), Here he provides some answers:
- Do your homework. Visit the interior design section of bookstores and look for books that specialize in ethnic design or African design.
- Look at African textiles and objects in local museums or travel to areas that have museums with African collections.
- Visit local stores that sell African objects, furniture and textiles. See what's available.
- Choose your color schemes. Do you want Moroccan pastels or safari earth tones? Paint a wall brown or terra cotta and use an African mask or statue to get the feel.
- If you don't want to spend a lot of money, cover pillows with African-inspired fabric or just cover cornices with an African fabric and use sheer curtains.