Host Joan Kohn joins Katherine Manmer for a tour of the renovated kitchen in her late-18th-century farmhouse.
Filed under: Kitchen Backsplash, Kitchen Countertops, Kitchen Design, Kitchens, Country Style, Backsplash
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Host Joan Kohn joins Katherine Manmer for a tour of the renovated kitchen in her late-18th-century farmhouse. She chose an informal English country look for the lightened and updated space that retained the footprint of the original kitchen. Architect Priscilla Lowell helped turn structural liabilities like steel beams and exposed pipes into interesting design details.
- Although the size of the kitchen was not increased, the sense of space was with the addition of patio doors and sidelights, as well as a bank of windows over the sink.
- The massive island, topped with granite, houses a five-burner cooktop and seats three. It provides plenty of storage and separates the work area from the socialization area.
- A dramatic colorful tile was used for the backsplash and set the color palette for the space.
- Unsightly structural elements were either covered or painted to match the surrounding wall. A steel beam was encased with wood molding and painted. Pipes were painted the same color as the trimwork so they virtually disappear.
- Glazed off-white cabinets have a classic English country look with panels, brackets, turned legs and feet, and generous use of molding.
- A long run of wall-hung cabinets is broken up with a charming plate rack.
- A wet bar beside the two wall ovens has a furniture look with turned feet, a mahogany counter, copper sink, glass panels for the upper cabinets and brackets between the upper and lower cabinets.
- Several dish collections displayed in a vintage hutch add country charm.
- Country market scenes painted on the refrigerator panel add a dramatic touch.
- The counters around the room’s perimeter are an off-white solid surface and contain two integrated sinks.
See how a designer turns a small kitchen into a large family space.(6 photos)
A pro organizer is charged with getting a kitchen back in proper working order.