$100 Half-Day Designs: Simple Contemporary Bathroom Updates
A twist on classic stenciling and new accessories transforms a boring bathroom into a contemporary retreat.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
roll of paper
anchors (if needed)
1. Begin by taking down any outdated mirrors, toilet paper holders and towel bars. Fill in any holes with spackle. Tape off the floor, ceiling and side walls with painter's tape.
2. Use the roller to paint the wall on which you will do the stenciling. If you use a darker color, it will probably require two coats.
3. While the paint is drying, create your desired stencil. For this project, they designed a mod circular print, drew it onto a piece of paper with a marker and then cut out the negative space with the utility knife.
4. Place the stencil over contact paper, outlining the holes with marker and then cutting them out with the knife. Use a piece of contact paper long enough to cover the entire section of wall you intend to adorn so you don’t have to match it up later.
5. Peel the back off the contact paper and attach it to the wall, starting at the top. Work your way down slowly to get all the bubbles out so the paint won’t run under the contact paper.
6. Once it is secured, begin painting at the outside of the shapes and work your way in to ensure you have a clean line when you take the stencil away.
7. After all the paint has dried peel the contact paper away slowly. If any touch-ups are needed, use a fine-tipped brush to complete them.
8. Install new accessories, including towel bar and ring, mirror, bath mat, towels and shower curtain. A drill, screws and maybe some anchors should be all you need to complete this.
Designer Naomi Stein explains how she transformed a small, boring bathroom into an all-out glamorous space just for the ladies.
Designer Christopher Grubb uses a creamy white color palette and contemporary style to transform this dark and dated bathroom.(7 photos)
See how Kenneth Brown transforms this tiny bathroom into a beautiful calming space with elements that enhance and make the...(5 photos)