$100 Half-Day Designs: Create a Bedroom Focal Point
Paint and placemats play a starring role in this bedroom redo.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
9 place mats (or more, depending on size of bed or wall)
paint for accent wall (Behr, Flame)
1-5/8" finish nails
4 thread-in eye hooks
4’ decorative chain
4 sheer curtains
new bedding/duvet cover (optional)
1. Move the bed, and paint the wall behind the bed a bright accent color. Bright colors usually take at least two coats of paint. Once the wall is dry, put the bed up against the wall to determine the location for the headboard.
2. Lay out the placemats on the bed first to determine the desired pattern.
3. Measure the bed to find the centerline. Use this center to hang the bottom center placemat, and nail the placemat to the wall with a few small finish nails.
4. After the first placemat is on the wall, build upon it one row at a time. Have a level handy to make sure each row is straight.
5. With the wall painted and the headboard in place, it’s time to hang the sheers to give the bed an elegant look. Take a decorative eyehook and thread one into the ceiling at each corner of the bed. No tools are required.
6. Run a short length of decorative chain through the loops at the top of each sheer, and hang each curtain from the eye hooks.
7. Finish off the room by changing out the bedding with something festive or stylish, and you’re all done!
Floor-to-ceiling draperies add height, drama and a stylish, modern look to any bedroom.
Each month, a lucky reader wins accessories from Etsy.com to complete a room. For June's winner, Jessica, designer Claire...(6 photos)
A clever use of color, pattern, sheen and shape turns a boring master bedroom into a haute place for a bachelor to rest.(17 photos)