Light Fixtures 101
Nothing affects both the mood and the function of a room quite like lighting does, so consider these 6 tips when deciding what fixtures to buy.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
- Bedroom lighting should be applied in layers, since it's a multifunctional room. Task lighting for reading and dressing are extremely important.
- A pendant lamp in a reading area is an interesting alternative to the more common table lamp.
- Recessed lighting tends to have a more contemporary look. Alternatives include lamps, art lighting and sconces.
- Wall sconces provide soothing indirect light and provide dramatic effects on walls. A sconce can be used as a point of interest on a wall or provide light in the upper reaches of a room where the lighting is dim.
- A rich, beautiful chandelier is a good way to add importance to a space. It provides excellent down light and ambient lighting.
- The most important function of lighting in the bath is to provide shadow-free light for ease in personal grooming. This is best done with side lights around the mirror rather than down lights, which produce pronounced shadows.
Maximize a room's potential with the right lighting. Discover designer Candice Olson's tips for illuminating your home.(7 photos)
From sconces to table lamps, lighting designer Eddie Cohen offers tips on how to properly light a room.(8 photos)