Round Out Your Modern Design in a Fishbowl Vase
Loose, unstructured flowers and a smooth, curvy bowl vase create a colorful contrast in this bright, contemporary design.
- Excerpted from Fresh Flower Arranging
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
The iridescent color of the fishbowl sets the tone for the eclectic mix of autumnal flowers and foliage that rest on top of it; chicken wire placed inside the bowl helps to keep the stems at the right angle. This design will provide a bright injection of color in a modern kitchen, bathroom, sunroom or office, and should last at least a week if you keep the flowers in good condition.
Flowers and Foliage
5 stems smokebush
7 gloriosa lilies with short stems
5 orange dahlias
5 yellow dahlias
orange fishbowl (8 inches high)
Sunflowers and cockscomb (for dahlias); upright amaranthus (for gloriosa lilies); lilies (for smokebush)
How to Arrange
1. Place the chicken wire inside the bowl and half-fill the bowl with water.
2. Cut down the long stems of smokebush and use a few of the shorter stems to create a basic framework.
3. Add a few dahlias around the edge of the bowl, then add a second layer of dahlias so they appear to almost rest on the lower layer. Add a few more stems of smokebush to break up the blooms if they look too dense.
4. Add the gloriosa lilies, placing them evenly around the arrangement. Their elongated petals add an elegant contrast to the round puff-ball effect of the dahlias, so the lilies should sit slightly higher than the other blooms. Then fill the bowl to the top with more water.
Excerpted from Fresh Flower Arranging
© Dorling Kindersley Limited 2011
This confection-inspired design is reminiscent of a wedding cake. It makes a delightful table centerpiece for a bridal shower,...
Each month, a lucky reader wins accessories from Etsy.com to complete a room. For January's winner, Cheryl, designer Vanessa De...(9 photos)
Each month, a lucky reader wins accessories from Etsy.com to complete a room. For August's winner, Heather, designer Claire...(4 photos)