Timeworn Gift Boxes
Tips for decorating wrapped gifts with a little bit of style.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Project by Paula Montgomery.
small paper box
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers stamps: (discontinued, use any desired stamps)
- French Envelope Markings-Z
- Ink Spots
- French Writing
- Fancy French Writing
glue or adhesive of your choice
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers collage sheets: (discontinued, use any desired embellishments)
- Blank Labels
- French Stuff
- Envelope Markings-Z
40" twine or string
sealing wax stick, matches and seal or faux wax seal
1. Sponge or dab stone gray dye ink randomly onto the box. Do not cover the entire box but just age it, paying particular attention to the edges.
2. Sponge or dab sage dye ink randomly onto the box as you did the gray but not as much.
3. Stipple the box randomly with sienna dye ink (figure A).
4. Sponge white pigment ink randomly on the edges, top, sides and bottom. Use the white sparingly; you do not want to cover all the other colors you just applied (figure B).
5. Stamp Fancy French Writing in indigo dye ink lightly, randomly, in a few places on the box. You can remove some of the ink by stamping on scrap paper first and then on the box.
6. Stamp the other French Writing in sienna dye ink in the same manner (figure C).
7. Cut out a round vintage label from the Blank Labels collage sheet, a par avion label from the Envelope Markings sheet, two vintage postal labels--one from each of the French Stuff collage sheets, and two perfume labels from the French Stuff #3 collage sheet.
8. Using a pencil, rub the white edges of all the cut out pieces of ephemera/labels that you will glue to the box. This will remove the stark white edge that occurs when you cut them out (figure D).
10. Stipple lightly with sienna on top of those labels to age them, too (figure F).
11. Stamp Ink Spots randomly in bordeaux dye ink. Again, remove any excess ink on scrap paper first; then stamp onto the box so the ink appears older.
12. Stamp black Avignon postmarks from French Envelope Markings-Z on top of the postage stamps glued to the box to "cancel" them.
13. Stamp par avion rubber stamp from French Envelope Markings-Z on a side of the box in black. If you are going to insert a present or a note in the box, do so now (figure G).
See how to incorporate Asian flair into this holiday season. Click for step-by-step instructions for an Asian-inspired ribbon box.