Stylish Stamped Bag
Learn how to create this stylish stamped bag by Dee Gruenig.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
Posh Impressions Stamps:
large sunflower duet
canvas tote bag
metallic silver paint pen
black permanent marker
eyelet tag alphabet
small metal frame
toothbrush paper towels
water for clean up
extra foam or an old magazine
stamping mat with backup paper
opaque fabric paint: yellow, ochre, brown
soft sponge cut into 1" x 1" x 3" pieces, edges rounded off
metallic fabric paint: bright gold, sunset gold, silver super copper, super sparkle
2. Stuff bag with foam or old magazine cut to fit inside.
3. Shake paints before use. Apply yellow to one sponge and dab onto one third of the triangle. Repeat with ochre and another sponge blending into the yellow.
4. Repeat with brown and a third sponge blending into the ochre.
5. Repeat as desired for a smooth blended opaque appearance. Wash sponges. Allow triangle to dry thoroughly and then remove tape.
6. Apply brown paint to a dry sponge and dab evenly onto the checkerboard stamp. Stamp at an angle crossing the triangle. Repeat at a different angle. Allow checkers to dry.
7. Apply metallic copper paint to a dry sponge and dab onto center of solid sunflower stamp. Apply metallic sunset gold to another sponge and dab onto sunflower petals. Repeat to get a good amount of paint on the stamp. Stamp partially across triangle. Repeat and stamp another sunflower on opposite side of triangle. Wash sponges.
9. Apply brown paint to a dry sponge and dab onto open image sunflower and stamp onto bag off one edge.
10. Apply bright gold to a dry sponge and dab onto swirl stamp. Stamp and repeat in open areas.
11. Stamp dots using the eraser of a new pencil and the back end of a small paintbrush dipped into the paint jar lids and dabbed off onto backup paper if necessary. Use a silver paint pen to accent swirls and dots if desired.
12. Trim photo to fit in small metal frame. Stick in place using super tacky tape.
13. Apply more tape to back of frame and stick onto bag in largest open area.
14. Attach alphabet letters to zipper pull with jump ring and pliers.
Shake paints before opening and clean jar rims with a damp paper towel before putting the lids back on.
Clean sponges and rubber stamps immediately when finished stamping before paint dries. A toothbrush makes a great cleaning tool. Sponges can be reused, but make sure they are dry or you will dilute the paint.
Touch up any paint residue on a black bag with a permanent marker. Touch up stamped images with a sponge dabber or small paintbrush.
Author and gardening expert Marianne Binetti shows how to make a fern house and how to decorate with an inked palm frond.