Stuffed Messenger Owl Card
Faythe Levine makes this adorable messenger owl card with felt.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
2 pieces of 8-1/2" x 11" light blue felt for the body
8-1/2" x 11" aqua blue felt for the pocket and wings
gold, white, blue and brown felt
pen and paper
1. Cut out the owl body pattern from paper in the shape of a shield with rounded bottom and pointed ears. Cut out the owl wing pattern from paper to resemble ovals with pointed ends.
2. Pin the body pattern to two pieces of light blue felt. Cut out the front and back of the owl's body. Cut two wings from the aqua blue felt.
4. Cut out one triangular shape for the nose from the gold felt. Cut two feet from the brown felt. Cut a square of aqua felt for the back pocket.
5. Sew the aqua back pocket to the back body piece, stitching around three sides of the square and leaving the top open to insert a note card.
6. On the second piece (the front of the owl) sew on the eyes, nose and wings. Topstitch a 1/4-inch from the edge of each piece using matching thread for the felt. Topstitch two additional rows on each wing 1/4 inch apart.
8. Pin the owl's front and back pieces with wrong sides together. Sew the front and back together leaving an opening at the bottom for stuffing.
9. Stuff the owl with fiberfill.
10. Sew the opening closed.
11. Glue the feet at the bottom of the owl.
12. Cut the card from card stock to size.
13. Glue felt design piece(s) (heart) onto the card and let it dry.
14. Insert the card with a message in the messenger owl pocket.
Stuffed Messenger Owl Card project by Faythe Levine from Milwaukee, Wis.
Faythe Levine is a hip and talented artist from Seattle who relocated to downtown Milwaukee because she was drawn to the mid-west Indie art scene. For the past couple of years, she has organized craft and art fairs in Milwaukee and has been very involved in promoting and mentoring new artists in town — her artist friends refer to her as the glue that connects them all together. Since high school, she has been creating unique crafts such as the Messenger Owl, which carries special notes from the sender.
Design your own silk screen greeting cards using transparency film.