Silly Bazilly Mermaid Doll
Follow these step-by-step instructions to sew a fabric mermaid doll.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Kathy Goodwin from Rockville, Md.
Kathy was primarily a quilter until a friend's daughter asked her to make her a mermaid doll. Kathy put one together and the mermaid theme stuck; now she makes them all the time. In this project, she makes a fiery red and gold mermaid.
embroidery hoop and floss
polyester filling stuffing
1. Choose fabrics for face, body and tail. Draw or trace your mermaid onto fabrics and cut all pieces except for face.
2. Put fabric for head into embroidery hoop. Draw face onto fabric. Embroider face. Remove from loop and cut head out of fabric.
3. Sew arms together by machine. Sew fins together by machine.
4. Turn arms and fins inside out and stuff.
5. Pin front of body to back, marking gaps for arms with double pins.
6. Sew all front pieces--head to chest, chest to tail. Sew front to back, leaving a hole in the side to stuff. Insert arms into holes and sew them on.
7. Turn inside out and stuff the body. Sew open side.
8. Sew fins to body by hand.
9. Make flower for fins with ombre ribbon: Cut 5 to 6 inches of ribbon and roll and mash it into a flower. Glue gun flower to fin.
10. Make smaller flowers for "bikini top" from ombre ribbon. Glue gun flowers to chest area.
11. Add hair by layering on one piece of ribbon or yarn at a time with hot glue gun.
12. Cut piece of fringed ribbon and glue gun onto neck for necklace.
Amanda Gary was allowed to draw on her walls as a child, so it's no wonder this creative "inner child" now makes...