Shabby Chic Mother's Day Card
Create a one-of-a-kind handmade card to show Mom how much you care.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
light green card stock
gift tag (or create your own using coordinating paper)
glue dots, white glue or glue stick
wide cream trim
cream silk flower
rub-on transfer or black pen for lettering
tan thread and needle
ivory acrylic paint and foam brush
1. Cut green cardstock to 7-1/2" x 5-1/4" and fold in half. Lightly brush the edges and front of the card with ivory acrylic paint to create a subtly weathered look.
2. Cut floral paper slightly smaller than card front, edge with light ivory acrylic paint and lightly distress with ink. Glue floral paper to the center of card.
3. Cut a small strip of striped paper and glue to bottom edge of card. Next, glue wide cream trim to card, covering the bottom edge of striped paper. Wrap pink ribbon around center of card, placing it so ribbon covers the top edge of striped paper. Tie ribbon in a bow just to the left of center.
4. Using a sewing machine, zigzag stitch along right and left sides of card front.
5. Trim gift tag to fit lengthwise on card and ink edges. Add a hand-stitched stem and leaf to tag with tan thread. Glue tag to card just to the right of bow. Attach a silk flower to the top of the hand-stitched stem and glue a small blossom to the center to add dimension.
6. Finally, write "Happy Mother's Day" (or apply rub-on sentiment) right above the flower.
This '50s cottage-style home was all driveway and no personality until it was reinvigorated with a makeover.