Sea Blue Turtle Visor
Vicky Durand repeats her dye process for her tropical sea blue turtle visor.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
100 percent cotton fabric
rubber turtle stencils
sun reactive dye
container to mix the dye
dye tables with mats woven from pandanas leaves (lauhala)
gold signature pen
iron and ironing board
washing machine and dryer
rubber or latex gloves
1. Create the visor pattern on paper using a ruler and measuring tape or copy from a purchased visor.
2. Lay the paper pattern on manila folder paper and staple the edges of the paper pattern to the manila paper. Cut the pattern on the pencil line.
3. Wash and rinse a sufficient amount of fabric for the visor.
4. Using pencil and paper pattern trace lightly around shape of visor bill for turtle stencils' placement.
5. Mix the dye with water for the desired sea blue color. Wearing rubber or latex gloves, submerge the fabric in the dye bath.
6. Place the fabric on mats woven from pandanas leaves (lauhala) on a table in the sun.
7. Lay the turtle stencils on the fabric in the desired layout.
8. Let the dye react to the sun. Remove the stencils. Remove the fabric from the table.
9. Lay the paper pattern for the visor on the fabric with the turtle on the bill pattern and trace around. Place the visor tie band pattern on dyed but not stenciled fabric. Pin the pattern pieces to the fabric. Cut two pieces for the bill and two pieces for the visor tie.
10. Cut one piece of interfacing for the visor bill and one for the visor tie band.
11. Press the interfacing on the bill, pin and machine-stitch approximately 1/ 8-inch from the outer edge. Place the interfacing for the tie band in the center of the band and press.
12. Place the bill fabric pieces right sides together and machine-stitch 1/4-inch around outer edge of the bill.
13. Turn the visor bill right side out and press.
14. Top-stitch the width of presser foot around the outer edge of the bill and press.
15. Stitch the inside edge of the bill 1/8-inch from the edge.
16. Divide the bill in half on the inner edge and mark the center.
17. Divide the tie strips of the visor band in half and mark the center.
18. Place the bill center on the right side of one visor band center and pin.
29. Sew the bill piece to the visor band with 1/4-inch seam allowance.
20. Pin the right side of the remaining band piece to the right side of the visor bill and band matching the edges of the entire band. The visor bill will be sandwiched between the right sides of the band pieces.
21. Sew along the entire edge of the band on the bill side of the band.
22. Press the sewn edge of the band.
23. Press under the top edges of the band 1/4-inch and pin.
24. Sew on the pressed edges. Leave an opening for turning.
25. Clip the corners of the band ties. Turn the band pieces right side out. Press to finish.
26. Turn under the edges of the opening left for turning. Top-stitch the opening closed. Tip: All of the band edges can be top-stitched to match the top stitching on the upper part of your sea blue turtle visor.