Scrap Bag Challenge
Simply Quilts challenges three talented quilt designers to make a quilt using 103 five-inch squares of fabric from the scrap bag!
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Kelly Gallagher-Abbott's Scrappy Floral Quilt
Instructions provided courtesy of quilt designer Kelly Gallagher Abbot.
Designer Kelly Gallagher Abbot created this scrappy quilt using Sharon Shamber’s "Pieceleque" technique and a computer-drafted pattern. To mute the tones of some of the brighter fabrics in the scrap bag, Kelly soaked selected squares in all-purpose ink.
Materials and Tools:
103, five-inch fabric squares
pattern - see resources
1. Pre-shrink freezer paper by heating it. Create a pattern then trace onto freezer paper to make template.
3. Cut out freezer paper templates then press to the wrong side of the fabric.
4. Cut out fabric appliqué pieces leaving at least 1/4-inch allowance of fabric around the perimeter of the template.
5. Clip only the inside curves of the appliqué pieces.
6. Apply starch and press back desired seams.
7. Pull off template.
8. Apply glue.
9. Place center flower fabric in position on background block.
10. Using layout pattern for proper positioning, heat-set the unit then sew down on the fold line using a short stitch (1.75).
11. Sew blocks together, then finish and quilt as desired.
You don't need to make a perfect quilt. Follow these instructions on how to make a playful quilt.
Here's a guide to the most useful tools for quilting.
In week four of Design Star, each of the six remaining designers are asked to create a design concept for a wedding reception....(5 photos)