Sassy Silky Cell Phone Satchel
Kristal Wick from Arvada, Colo. makes a hand-painted black silk cell phone satchel, enhancing it with hammered copper, silk beads and game tile embellishments.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
raw black silk fabric
round and silk beads
embossing heat gun
hot glue gun
extra strong adhesive
1. Make and use a template to cut out raw black silk fabric. Iron silk.
2. Stamp, stencil and freehand designs on the front of purse with acrylic paint. Let dry.
3. Fold purse over and line up edges leaving a flap for the top of the purse. Miter the flap with scissors.
4. Iron purse front and back. The heat sets the paints.
5. Paint the inside of the purse with black gesso. This stiffens the silk. Let dry.
6. Paint the outside of the purse with black gesso. Let dry.
7. Glue the sides of the purse together with fabric glue. Let dry.
8. Punch three small holes along the bottom of purse. Punch three holes on each side of purse.
9. String fibers through the two bottom side holes. Tie and secure with a dab of fabric glue. String longer fibers through bottom three holes. String a round bead, silk bead, another round bead onto one strand of fiber. Tie a knot at the end of the fiber, secure with a dab of fabric glue. Repeat this step for all six strands of fiber.
10. Make and use a template to cut out the hammered copper shape using decorative scissors.
11. Stamp desired image onto copper using a permanent ink.
12. Heat treat copper with an embossing gun. The colors will go from magenta to blue to silver. Once you reach silver, the colors will no longer change. Stop the embossing gun as soon as you have the exact color you want. This is a kind of mottled raku effect.
13. Draw or stamp onto copper with embossing ink. Sprinkle with embossing powder, shake off excess. Heat treat the embossed areas with embossing gun.
14. Pound copper piece with textured hammer. You can make your own by dropping globs of hot glue from a glue gun onto a cheap hammer head.
15. Place a piece of wax paper inside purse. This prevents purse from being glued shut. Glue copper piece onto front of purse with extra-strong adhesive. Let dry.
16. All the steps in this process can be done at any time. While the purse is drying, you can do the hammered copper or domino embellishment.
17. To make the purse handle: Cut out desired length of fiber strands for handle. String end of handle through top hole in purse. Tie knot and secure with dab of fabric glue. String Sassy Silky silk beads onto handle. String end of handle through other top hole in purse. Tie knot and secure with dab of fabric glue. Place Sassy Silky beads into desired placement on handle and secure with fabric glue inside bead. Let dry.
18. Lightly sand front and sides of game tile. Paint with desired colors of acrylic paints on front and sides. Let dry.
19. Stamp desired image onto domino using a permanent ink. Let dry. If desired, draw or stamp onto domino with embossing ink. Sprinkle with embossing powder, shake off excess. Heat treat the domino with embossing gun.
20. Seal domino with shiny sealer. Glue onto front flap of purse with extra-strong adhesive. Let dry.
Web Site: www.KristalWick.com
If you're attempting a southwestern, western or wildlife-themed room, try this technique using Ultra suede--it's the easiest...
If you've ever aspired to make an art quilt but didn't know where to start, this is the project for you. Here is section 5 of...