Punched Paper Flower Cards
Projects by Michael Strong.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
3" circle punch
1-3/4" heart shape punch
8-1/2" x 11" red card stock
8-1/2" x 11" medium green card stock
Archival "crimson" dye ink pad or similar
Adirondack "library green" dye ink pad or similar
glue stick or double-sided tape
1. Apply crimson ink directly to the red card stock using the "direct to paper" method. Rubbing the ink pad randomly all over the surface of the paper gives the card stock a mottled, textured look.
2. Do the same to the sheet of green card stock using the library green inkpad. Let the paper dry for a few minutes before the next step.
3. From the textured red card stock, punch out four heart shapes. These will become two heliconia blossoms.
4. To make one blossom, lay one heart atop another and fold them together in half. Cut through both pieces. Discard the upper sections and save the two thin lower sections. These will become the parts of one blossom.
5. Flipping one of the thin pieces in the opposite direction from the other thin piece, place one inside the other and glue them together at the bottom, leaving the tops open. They should from a V-shape.
6. From the textured green card stock, punch out two 3-inch circles. These will become the leaves.
7. Fold each round in half and cut each circle. Offset the folded leaf to reveal both halves.
8. From the leftover piece, cut a leaf shape.
9. Using a paper cutter, cut two 4-1/4" x 1/2" pieces from the textured green card stock. These will become the stems. Fold the piece in half lengthwise. Cut the folded piece.
11. Glue or tape the stem inside one of the folded leaves. Repeat with the other set of blossom, stem and leaves.
12. Add the small leaf(s) to one or both of the stems.
13. Glue or tape the two completed sets together at the bottom. Use the completed flower grouping to decorate greeting cards, place cards, scrapbook pages, etc.
Using paper and other simple supplies, anyone can make this three-dimensional floral card.