Placemat Sewing Organizer
Learn how to create a handy sewing or craft organizer with two fabric placemats and several resealable plastic bags.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Project by Diana Cates.
Materials and Tools:
resealable plastic bags
fabric marking pen
two 3/8" diameter grommets
2 hook and loop fasteners
2 double-sided fabric placemats
1-1/2" x 5" strip thin packing foam sheet
1. Lay out fabric and place one placemat on top. Using a fabric marker, trace around placemat. Remove placemat and add 1/2 inch. Cut shape out of fabric. Press fabric edges 1/2 inch to wrong side.
2. Arrange resealable plastic bags as desired. Sew along side and bottom edges of bags to right side of fabric piece. Place packing foam as desired and tack to fabric.
3. Fold one placemat in half, matching edges. Place folded placemat on opposite side of remaining placemat, matching folded edge of top placemat to bottom edge of opposite placemat. Unfold placemat and pin mats together. Sew mats together along side and bottom seams where mats overlap.
4. Matching edges, lay fabric on top placemat and sew around edges of fabric. Sewing through all layers.
5. For placement of grommets: On bottom placemat, measure in 4 inches from sides and 1 inch up from fabric edge and make mark. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to attach grommets.
6. For handle, insert ends of cording through grommets to inside of organizer. Knot to secure.
Take a look at some viewers' crafting ideas, from a pencil holder to a snowman.