How to Make a Mosaic Leaf Mirror
Hand sculpt leaves from clay and use them to decorate this mosaic tile mirror.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
10" x 10" mirror or frame
low-fire terra cotta clay
mastic (tile glue)
spreader (ice cream/craft stick)
tile scraps (glass, ceramic, etc.)
sanded black grout
small bucket or container
1. Roll out slab of clay (terra cotta) and smooth surface.
2. Cut out leaf shapes and smooth edges with finger using a little water.
3. Draw lines on leaves (with pin tool or pencil) and allow to dry for a day or two.
4. Brush glazes onto tops of leaves. Load kiln.
5. Fire kiln (approximately 12 hours) and cool overnight. Unload kiln.
6. Glue leaves to mirror with mastic. Fill in odd spaces and complete edge (if desired) with tile scraps. Let mastic set up (cure) overnight.
7. Lay newspaper down on table and mix grout with water.
8. Using rubber gloves, spread grout over mirror, doing edges last. Work into crevices.
9. Clean off tile surface with paper towel. Use pin tool or toothpick to clean details.
10. Polish with vinegar and paint back of mirror if desired.
Follow these steps to make a dog-themed, stained glass mosaic mirror.