More Altered Book Techniques
Learn these altered book techniques by Beth Cote.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Angle Fold Pop-up
Materials and Tools:
glue stickgold metallic acrylic paint
clip art or image for pop-up
seafoam green Golden Glaze
Color Box Cat Eye chalk: alabaster, creamy brown
Design Originals Legacy Collage Elizabeth’s Travels 0552 paper
found collage materials or ephemera from Design Originals Ephemera Book
Making Memories rub-on words or gel pen
1. Copy onto card stock the clip art that you want to "pop-up" or cut out clip art and glue to card stock. The part that is to pop-up above the top of the book must be shaped similar to a half circle. Cut out the part of the clip art that is to be above the top of the book, leaving the bottom uncut for strength.
2. Fold in half. Lay in book, folded, and fold the top of the clip art toward the edge of the book. Play with the angle of the fold to make sure all the clip art is hidden in the book and doesn’t hang out. Crease the fold with a bone folder. Fold the crease in the opposite direction. Crease with the bone folder.
3. Fold in half with the picture hidden. With your index finger, push the top of the image down into the folded paper. This is the pop-up.
4. Glue two sets of two pages together. The pop up will be glued in the middle of the two sets. Carefully glue the image into the book, while the image is pushed down to avoid getting glue on the moving part. Place the fold into the spine but do not push deep into the spine.
5. Collage with dictionary paper over card stock. Lightly sponge sea foam green glaze over pages. Glue other ephemera and ripped parts of Elizabeth’s dream collage paper over pages and card stock. Apply inks to pages. Heat set inks.
6. Rub-on the word "celebrate" to collage or write it by hand with a gel pen.
Dawn Beckert shows you techniques to transform discarded books into works of art.
Audience members share their creative holiday ideas. Make a snowman out of dryer-vents, and turn all your holiday cards into a...
Get some tips on how to keep control of climbing vines outside the home.