Metal Sun Garden Art Sculpture
Daniel Martel creates a unique face on this metal sun garden art sculpture.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
16-gauge bronze in 1/8" x 1" sheets
welding safety equipment: face shield and leather gloves
steel molding block
1. Wearing a face shield and leather gloves, use a plasma cutter to cut a 12" diameter disk from 1/16" sheet bronze. Smooth the edges using a belt sander.
2. Cut a 38" length of 1" x 1/8" bronze flat steel to form the rim for the circle. Bend the steel around a jig to the circumference of the round disk.
3. Wearing safety gear, weld the rim around the disk.
4. Draw a face on the disk with a black marker.
5. Heat the surface of the disk and form the raised and indented facial features with a treadle hammer.
6. Cut 12 pieces of 1" x 1/8" bronze flat steel 24 inches long to form 10 sunrays and two scrolled base pieces.
7. Shape the 24" flats into sunray shapes using the appropriate jigs.
11. Shape them using a wood mallet and steel molding block. Grind the edges on a belt sander to smooth.
12. Weld the flat sheet pieces to the inside of the sunrays.
13. Attach the support of twisted 1/2" x 1/2" square bronze and weld it to the bottom of the sun and attach a 4" x 6" x 1/8" plate to the bottom of the twisted 1/2" x 1/2" for the base.
14. Cut eyes, nose and mouth from 1/16" bronze sheet. Shape the pieces and weld them to the face.
15. Add accent lines to the face to develop character with a MIG welder.
16. Lightly brush the metal sun garden art sculpture with a wire wheel to give highlights.
Growing up on a farm, Daniel Martel was exposed to blacksmithing at an early age. And when he used his metal skills to create a steam engine for an eighth grade science project, he knew he wanted to develop his talent further. Now with a workshop on his own farm, he spends every chance he gets forging a wide variety of metal pieces, from functional letter openers and candlesticks to decorative sculptures and garden art.
The Landscape Smart team incorporates unique art pieces to create an outdoor gallery.