Design a Metal Candle Box
Transform an aluminum metal sheet into an eye-catching candle box.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Mat Kubo and his family have lived in Hawaii for four generations. Mat loves metal art, both visual and performance. Not only does he make tangible metal art but he creates music by bending and moving sheet metals.
Materials and Tools:
aluminum sheet metal
nuts and bolts
sheet metal bender
hinges and latch
paper template with layout of design
straight edge, fine-tip permanent marker, scissors
1. Draw a paper template of the design to be placed on each of the four sides of the metal box, the bottom and the door. Cut out the individual square designs with scissors.
2. Measure and mark 4-inch squares on one aluminum sheet for all sides and the bottom of the box. The overall design will form three rows of three squares.
3. The squares in the four corners will be removed later to leave a "cross" pattern with the box's bottom in the center and the sides surrounding it. Mark the lines for folding the metal into a box. Mark a separate door piece for the top of the box on the metal.
4. Cut the sheet metal to the outer dimensions of the box using a jump shear.
5. Drill holes for the hinges and latches of the top door.
6. Use a band saw to cut away the squares in the four corners and to cut the notches for folding. Wear safety glasses while using the saw.
7. Lay out the paper templates on each of the box pieces.
8. Apply a paper template to each of the box sides, bottom and top door with rubber cement. Let dry.
9. Drill pilot holes in each sheet for cutting out the design.
10. Wearing safety glasses feed the scroll saw blade through the pilot hole in each design and cut out the design.
11. Sand the surfaces of the sheet for a textured interior.
12. Bend the sheet along the marked bend lines with a sheet metal bender.
13. Assemble the metal candle box with nuts and bolts.
14. Attach the door with hinges, nuts and bolts.
15. Attach the latch to the door. Add a candle and enjoy!
Store your menorah candles in this box by following these steps by Lisa Pavelka.