Make Your Own Faux Roses
Embellish clothing and decor with faux roses you make yourself; plus, create rose-y greeting cards and get a tip for reviving old dinnerware.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
1-1/2 yards of 1-1/2" wide ribbon
poking tool (knitting needle or a blunt-end needle)
6" of flexible wire
flower stem of wire or plastic
1. Place the ribbon in front of you in a horizontal position with the right side facing up. Create a 45-degree fold about 6" from the left end of the ribbon by folding the left end down toward you so it is perpendicular to the other end of the ribbon.
2. Fold the long length of ribbon on the right away form you at a 45-degree angle so it is parallel to the first ribbon and the two folds form a triangular point at the top.
4. Fold the long ribbon on top away from you at a 45-degree angle and place it over the short ribbon and perpendicular to it. The three 45-degree angles folded to this point create three sides of a square.
5. Turn the ribbon counterclockwise again one-quarter turn. Fold the long ribbon away from you at a 45-degree angle and place it in front of the folded ribbon to form the fourth side of the square.
6. Continue turning and folding in this fashion until there are about five layers, leaving 6" of ribbon at the end.
7. Use your blunt-end poking tool to open up the hole at the center of the folded ribbon. Push the end of the ribbon through this hole to the bottom of the folded squares.
8. Pull the ribbon down until it begins to form a bud at the center of the flower.
9. Place the fingers of your left hand between the top two layers of petals. With your right hand, twist the ribbon tail clockwise, forcing the layer of petals to turn about a quarter turn. Don't pull down, just twist the ribbon.
10. Move your fingers down between the next layer of petals and repeat the turning process. Continue in this manner until all layers of petals are formed.
11. Wrap a length of wire around the ribbon tails as close to the bottom of the flower as possible. Twist the wire to secure. Cut the excess ribbon to within 3/4" of the flower base.
12. Place a wire or plastic rose stem at the base of the rose, and wrap the remaining wire tightly around the ribbon and stem. Wrap with floral tape to cover the stem. Add fabric or paper leaves, if desired.
Whip up this wonderfully nourishing and delightfully glossy lip balm to give as a gift to everyone on your list...