How to Make a Precious Metal Clay Pendant
Artist Barbara Burzillo shares her process for making her one-of-a-kind precious metal clay silver charm pendant
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
PMC+ silver metal clay
rubber-tipped clay shapers and wooden skewer
heavy weight plastic wrap
Badger Balm or olive oil
baking pan and oven mitt
kiln or micro torch with soldering stand
cup of water
tumbler with stainless steel shot or wire brush
liver of sulfur
2 small paintbrushes
sterling silver jump ring
chain or rubber cord with fitting
two-part silicone putty
1. Bend wire into the desired charm shape.
2. Coat your hands lightly with balm and mix two-part silicone putty according to manufacturer's directions. Press the wire into a patty of putty to form the charm shape. Remove the wire from the putty.
3. Coat the putty mold with balm.
4. Condition PMC clay and press it into the putty mold.
5. Sculpt the clay into the desired charm shape with a rubber-tipped clay shaper. The silver pendant will shrink 15 percent so make it slightly larger than the finished piece.
6. Make a hole for the bail at the top of the clay pendant using a wooden skewer.
7. Allow the charms silver pendant to dry thoroughly.
8. Fire the pendant in the kiln for approximately one hour at 1470 degrees.
9. Wearing an oven mitt, remove the pendant from the kiln with prongs.
10. Drop the silver pendant into a cup of water. This is called quenching.
11. Remove any sharp edges with a file.
12. Remove the white film from the pendant by placing the piece in a tumbler with stainless steel shot, water and burnishing fluid for 45 minutes.
13. Remove the pendant from the tumbler.
14. Wearing a mask, apply liver of sulfur with a paintbrush to create a patina. Note: The whole pendant may be dipped in the patina.
15. Remove excess patina and polish areas that you want to shine with fine-grit sandpaper.
Create this shimmering dragonfly pendant using precious metal clay.
Make this chic, enameled necklace by imprinting a clay pendant with a patterned button of your choice.
Make a miniature shoe out of polymer clay to add to your shoe collection.