Handmade Tile Mosaic Frame
Mercedes Mattila does a wide variety of projects using tile. Here she demonstrates how to make a tile picture frame.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Project by Mercedes Mattila from St. Paul, Minnesota.
Materials and Tools:
13" x 14-1/2" wood pieces
one-gallon plastic zipper bags
adhesive and holster
jug of water
1. Cut wood into 13" x 14-1/2" pieces to assemble into a rectangular frame.
2. Glue together and staple, add wood putty as necessary to fill in any small gaps. Seal wood.
3. Get out clay and extrude into strips to be placed on flat sheets of drywall.
4. Stamp impressions of found objects into the wet clay. Use cookie cutters to cut out unusual shapes of mosaics. Let clay strips dry.
5. Glaze dried mosaics. Glaze using squirt bottles filled with glaze and brushed over the surface of the clay. We will have approximately four colors. Let glaze dry.
6. Load tiles into the kiln on shelves. Remove after firing and let dry.
7. Start laying the mosaic onto the frame. Tape the tiles. Lift off the tiles and spread the adhesive on the frame.
8. Bring the sheet of taped tiles to the frame and press back into the adhesive. Let the adhesive dry.
Terri Nikolis of Dallas turned an artistic ability into beautiful frames for furnishings.