Handmade Greeting Cards
Cyndi Coon of Tempe, Ariz., demonstrates three whimsical animal designs to try on your handmade cards.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Cyndi Coon’s love for stationery was born as a child, when she got to accompany her mom on her mail carrier route. She believes that letter writing is a dying art and does her part to keep it alive with her bold, colorful greeting cards. The pig, critter and bumblebee cards combine strong graphics with cut-out felt characters and hand-drawn elements.
glue paste (bookbinding glue)
1. For the pig card: Draw a pig onto white paper and cut it out. Glue this design to cardboard and cut out the pieces to make a template. Cut felt around template pieces.
2. Punch out foam for nose. With pen, put two dots on nose and let dry.
3. Punch eye holes in head with stick and mallet. Put eyelets in holes. Turn over, hit with mallet to set eyelets, and set aside.
4. For the background: Cut various colors of duct tape into freeform strips with a craft knife, cutting on a cutting mat.
5. Once happy with the design, cut card stock to size and stick tape design on it. Burnish the design with a burnisher (press to make sure it sticks).
6. Using white corrective ribbon, make fence.
7. Flip felt pig pieces over and brush with glue paste. Stick body, head and ears to cards. Stick nose on head with white glue.
8. Draw tail and feet.
9. Glue interior paper with message into inside of card.
10. For the critter card: Cut a freeform critter out of leftover scraps of felt.
11. Punch holes for eyes in head. Put eyelets in holes and set with mallet.
12. Glue pieces together and set aside.
13. For the background: Using a cutting mat, cut various colors of duct tape into freeform strips with a craft knife. Once happy with the design, cut card stock to size and stick tape design on.
14. Glue ribbon to design. Burnish the design with a burnisher (press to make sure it sticks).
15. Brush critter with glue paste and glue to card stock background.
16. Draw arms and legs.
17. Glue inside message into card.
18. For the bee card: Draw a bee onto white paper and cut it out. Glue design to cardboard and cut out pieces for template. Cut felt around template pieces.
19. To make black lines, lay sheet of black felt out on mat. Cut strips of black felt with pizza cutter. Lay strips on yellow body and cut pieces to size with thread snipper. Glue black strips to yellow body, and set aside.
20. Cut card stock to size. For the background: Glue red gingham and green paper to tan background with glue stick.
21. Using a cutting mat, cut various colors of duct tape into freeform strips with a craft knife. Once happy with the design, stick tape design on. Burnish the design with a burnisher (press to make sure it sticks).
22. Turn felt bee pieces over, brush with glue paste and glue onto background.
23. To make the message: Pick out letter punches for HAPPY BIRTHDAY and punch letters into a strip of thick paper with mallet. Glue punched strip on to card stock.
24. Draw wings and antennae for bee.
25. Glue inside message into card.
Embellish clothing and decor with faux roses you make yourself; plus, create rose-y greeting cards and get a tip for reviving...