Handmade Bead Swirl Necklace
Follow these steps to create your own custom, whimsical necklace using silver wire and handmade glass beads.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Project by Kareen Kjelstrom from Santa Monica, Calif.
Kareen Kjelstrom loves creating jewelry. In this project, she makes a fun swirly necklace.
Materials and Tools:
2 handmade glass beads (9-10mm)
1 handmade glass bead (4-5mm)
27" of 16-gauge sterling silver round wire
2" of 24-gauge sterling silver round wire
1" 22-gauge head pin
marker to assist in shaping
round nose pliers
chain nose pliers
ball peen hammer
To make the beads:
minor bench burner
oxygen and propane
Effetre (Morretti) glass rods
1. Make glass beads: Turn on oxygen and propane. Light the torch. Heat glass, attach and shape on steel mandrel. Allow to cool in fiber blanket. Remove glass bead and clean.
2. Shape the pendant using 7 inches of 16-gauge sterling round wire.
5. Attach glass beads with 24-gauge sterling round wire, using chain nose pliers.
6. Attach small glass bead to the bottom of the pendant using head pin and chain nose pliers.
7. Make the necklace portion with about 20 inches of 16-gauge sterling round wire. Shape using marker and round nose pliers.
8. Hammer to flatten and strengthen the silver. Attach pendant to the necklace.
Natasha Puffer from Seattle creates a one-of-a-kind lampwork necklace featuring a large fish-shaped bead.