Fused Glass Light Switch Cover
Lisa Mote fuses colorful glass to create her decorative light switch plate.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
plastic light switch plate
piece of 1/8" fiber paper
clear glass (tested compatible)
6 assorted colors of tested compatible opalescent glass
4 different colors or textures of dichroic tested compatible glass
1. Cut fiber paper with a craft knife to the exact dimensions of a manufactured switch plate.
2. Mark locations for the switch and screws onto the fiber paper using a permanent marker. Place the fiber paper in the kiln.
3. Using a glasscutter, cut four 1/4 strips of clear glass the outer dimensions of the fiber paper. Place the clear glass strips around the edges the fiber paper on a piece of release paper.
4. Measure and cut rectangular pieces of glass in various colors to shape the light switch cover.
5. Place the rectangular strips on top of the fiber paper and clear glass border strips so that the colored glass is even with the edges of the clear glass on the outside border. There will be a double thickness of glass around the perimeter, which will allow the switch plate to be inserted in the center of the back. Allow an opening in the center large enough for the switch and the screws to show through.
6. Cut geometric shapes from various colors of glass on top of the rectangular pieces on the surface to seal the seams. Use triangles, small squares and rectangular strips.
7. Fuse the light switch cover in the kiln and let it cool overnight.
Leah Bohannon takes her admiration for glass items and creates fused glass light boxes.
Mary Barron from Boulder, Colo., makes what she calls "Four Moments of Inspiration" four fused-glass plaques...
Glass artist Kyle Kinsey shows how to make fused glass pendants. Follow these step-by-step instructions to make your own.