Floating Rice Paper Art
Karen Mills incorporates Chinese brushstroke techniques in her translucent rice paper wall hanging.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Karen Mills of Canyon Country, Calif., has created innovative ways of transforming her art on rice paper into uniquely functional and decorative forms such as tables, lamps, doors, tiles, fountains, windows and this translucent floating art suspended from bamboo.
Materials and Tools:
7" x 6" sheet of rice paper
2 Chinese flower brushes (for painting)
9" x 8" sheet clear acrylic
15" precut bamboo stalk
1. Paint desired flower design on rice paper using Chinese spontaneous techniques with Chinese brushes and watercolors (figure A).
2. Place the painting in a clean area to dry flat.
3. Spray with a light coating of acrylic spray.
4. Apply masking tape around the edges of the acrylic sheet. Fold the opposite edges of the masking tape up creating a tray to hold the liquid laminate (figure B).
5. Pour the liquid laminate onto the acrylic sheet. Brush the laminate evenly around the sheet.
6. Place the painting upside down on the acrylic sheet and brush the laminate over it (figure D). Make sure there are no air bubbles.
7. Leave in a cool clean place to dry.
8. Remove the masking tape.
9. Sand the edges smooth.
10. Mark two spots to drill holes at the top of the acrylic sheet about 1-inch from the sides and 1/2-inch from the top (figure E).
11. Drill the holes.
12. Attach the laminated painting to the bamboo stalk by inserting twine through the two holes in the acrylic sheet (figure F) and tie.
13. To hang on the wall, hammer in two nails and position the bamboo stalk on the nails (figure G).
Take a look as this empty space is transformed into a soothing Asian-style living room for a fraction of the cost of the...
Clean lines, quality workmanship and natural materials are the hallmarks of arts-and-crafts style, which is experiencing a...
Victoria Slone of Chicago uses her skills from Chinese brush-painting class to create original images for her jewelry.