Felted Patchwork Scarf
Maggie Kleinpeter shows how to craft a felt patchwork scarf from scratch.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Project by Maggie Kleinpeter from Brooklyn, N.Y.
When Maggie Kleinpeter moved from Louisiana to Brooklyn, she suddenly realized she needed to add a scarf to her winter wardrobe. But she didn’t head to the mall to buy one, like most people. Instead, she did her homework and learned how to felt a fashionable patchwork scarf, all her own.
Materials and Tools:
wool fibers (assorted colors)
1. Draw a picture of the scarf and figure out colors you want to use in various patterns.
2. Lay out wool in pattern of patchwork scarf . Lay three more layers of wool on top of first layer, in different directions.
3. Lay the screen over the scarf.
4. Pour very hot soapy water into the wool, through a strainer, and rub vigorously.
5. Lift the screen and rub with hands to form edges and shape the scarf.
6. After the wool starts to come together, place it on a bamboo mat and roll it up.
7. Unroll, turn the scarf around, and repeat the roll, changing direction several times.
8. Rinse in cold vinegar water, then Woolite, then fresh water.
9. Iron to shape and allow to dry overnight.