Embroidered Vintage Purse
Create a unique tote bag using vintage fabrics, cocktail napkins and embroidered artwork.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Project by Alicia Freile from Philadelphia.
Alicia Freile’s fabric designs are one of a kind. She incorporates vintage fabrics and cocktail napkins, along with original embroidered artwork, into a stylish and useful tote bag.
fabric for bag
vintage fabric napkin
1. Measure fabric for the bag. Draw a template if you wish and trace template onto fabric with a white pencil.
2. Cut out pieces and iron. Iron straps lengthwise to hide frayed edges.
3. Pin in place and sew the hem all the way around.
4. For the front of the bag: Adhere fusible interfacing to vintage curtain fabric by ironing on using wet cloth.
5. Pin napkin to front of bag. Stitch to bag with similar color thread using machine.
6. Time to embroider! Using image printed from computer, trace onto bag using transfer paper on inside of panel (makes white lines).
7. Put panel in embroidery hoop and embroider following the lines.
8. Cut out material for lining of bag. Pin lining to front and back panels of bag and pin strap between layers, making sure straps are same length on both sides.
9. Sew together with sewing machine. Turn right side out.
Carve a linoleum block to decorate your fabric for this floral purse.