"Dream" Silk-Woven Bookmark
Michael Cook reveals his silk-weaving process from the cocoon stage to the woven bookmark.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Michael Cook doesn't just weave — he also spins his own silk, dyes his own silk, and yes, he raises his own silk worms to make his own silk thread.
Materials and Tools:
heavy-glass canning jar
croissure assembly (2 laundry pulleys, 2 fishing-line eyes, 1 garden shepherd's hook)
various colors of silk yarn
scissors, cardboard, pins
computer and printer
1. To help loosen the sericin gum that bonds the cocoons together, place the cocoons into a heavy-glass canning jar and pour very hot water (but not boiling) over them. After two minutes, pour off the hot water and pour in cool tap water. The hot water forces air out of the cocoons making them fizz and bubble. The cool water is drawn into the cocoons as the air shrinks again.
2. Pour the wetted cocoons into a kettle of water that has just been taken off boil.
3. Rub a small dish brush around in a circular motion across the tops of the cocoons. Fibers from the cocoons will catch on the brush. Pull upward on the fibers and keep pulling them out until you get one end unwinding from each cocoon. Fish the cocoons out with a spoon and transfer them to the reeling crock-pot.
4. Pull the filament from about 15 to 20 cocoons together. Thread the filament through the croissure and attach it to the reel bobbin. Begin winding. As cocoons drop off, add on new cocoons to keep the filament at the same weight.
5. After all the silk is wound onto the bobbin, wind it back onto a fresh bobbin to keep it from sticking in place.
6. Design the piece with a computer or use graph paper. Lay out lettering and other designs so it will be easier to weave.
12. Tie the threads on and begin weaving your "Dream" silk woven bookmark. Weave by turning the tablets as a pack, forward and backward following the pattern. Tie off and cut the warp.
See the transformation of an unremarkable yellow bedroom of an 11-year-old girl into a whimsical, colorful room with features...