Dimensional Dog Mosaic
Robin Kingma cuts a dog shape out of medium density fiber board and then tiles and grouts her humorous dog mosaic.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
1/2" thick medium density fiber (MDF) board
glue cartridge and caulking gun; glue product should be specifically rated for ceramic application
tiles: separate colors for face, inside of ears, lips and eyes
marbles (for teeth)
sanded grout and water
small plastic tub for grout mixing
paint stir stick for grout mixing
jigsaw and blade
vinyl or latex gloves
1. Determine the design and draw it onto MDF board. The MDF board will not warp.
2. Put on safety glasses. With the jigsaw, cut out the design elements. The base and eye pieces of this project are cut with the blade set at the 90-degree position.
4. Create a small glue supply on a paper plate. Because of the large quantity of glue required, use a cartridge and caulking gun rather than a smaller tube of glue. Select a glue product that is specifically recommended for ceramic applications.
5. Apply glue to the nose and eye pieces with a cotton swab and adhere these pieces to the base.
6. Break the tile with the tile nippers and smooth uneven edges with a tile file. Strive for a variety of chip sizes and shapes. Tile pieces may be very sharp and should be handled with caution.
7. Glue bits of tile scrap to the tips of the ears and to the entire mouth outline. These scraps will serve as elevation for the final ear and mouth tiles. Experiment with placement to determine the desired relief.
9. Cover the horizontal surfaces with tile pieces, using glue applied to the pieces with a cotton swab. Press the tile pieces down evenly to achieve a uniform and level surface. Leave 1/4" spaces between the tile pieces to allow for an attractive and uniform grout line on the finished piece.
These pets really know how to live! From a custom-made doghouse to a hand-painted mural that brings the outdoors in, these...(9 photos)
Bryan Mose' shows how to create this unique butterfly bath using marbles and broken glass.