How to Make Dichroic Glass and Enamel Earrings
Make a playful yet well-crafted pair of earrings using multi-colored dichroic glass, accent beads and gold-filled wire.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
black, brightly colored rippled dichroic glass
fine silver sheet
2 colors washed vitreous (glass) enamel powder
Klyr-Fire temporary gum adhesive
14kt. gold-filled wire: 18- and 20-gauge
small glass accent beads
wooden dapping forms
jeweler's saw and blades
glass scoring tool cutter
glass grinder machine
kiln shelf fire blanket
metal firing rack
enamel kiln fork
1. To make fine silver pod-shaped beads: Saw out the bead pod shapes from fine silver. Hammer them in a curved wooden block into curled-up pod shaped beads.
2. Heat each curled-up pod-shaped bead with the torch until the curled-up pod edges fuse into a bead.
3. To make the kiln-fired glass elements: Set the dichroic glass on the cutting surface. Turn glass sheet over and draw shapes with a marker, then score with the glasscutter.
4. Use running pliers to break the scored dichroic glass shapes. Grind (with the electric glass grinder) the dichroic glass shapes to the same size and shape.
5. Place the dichroic glass pieces in the little glass fusing kiln on a piece of fireproof kiln blanket. Set on the kiln shelf, and fire them to approximately 1650 degrees F. The firing takes about 15 minutes. Check them toward the end of the firing time for the fire-polished look. Turn the kiln off and let them cool (and anneal) slowly for approximately 3 hours.
6. To enamel the sterling silver pod beads: Put the prepared enamel powder either onto a paper sheet or into a small container or small sifter.
7. Place pods on wire and then put the Klyr-Fire temporary gum adhesive on the silver bead pods. Apply enamel powder to bead pods by sifting the enamel powder onto the beads.
8. Put on wire firing rack (let dry on kiln top) and fire in kiln at approximately 1500 degrees F for approximately one minute. Let cool.
9. Remove kiln-fired dichroic glass triangle earring parts from glass kiln.
10. With 20-gauge gold-filled wire coil, wrap wire around kiln-fired dichroic glass triangles. Make a hook and a swirl (with pliers), which will hold the glass.
11. Put silver enameled beads on 20-gauge wire with little glass accent beads at the ends, making hooks on the ends (with pliers) to create the enamel bead element.
12. Use the same wire and small glass accent bead to make the earring wire hooks that will be the top hook element to go through ears.
13. With 18-gauge gold-filled wire, make swirl element by bending it with pliers and hands. Hammer wire swirl elements to give them shape and texture.
14. Assemble all elements by hooking them together using your hands and pliers.
This contemporary-style earring set has high karat gold with yellow, pink and sterling silver in an elegant, wearable design.
Make a stylish, fused-glass watch using dichroic glass and decals.
Make an elegant, daisy flower necklace pendant using sterling silver and semiprecious gems.