Decal Leather Travel Journal
Project designed by Debba Haupert.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
regular and silk Lazertran waterslide decal papers
The Leather Factory gold doe kidskin
Jacquard Lumiere pearl white paint
Fiskars craft hand drill
9" x 11" DMD Memory Book
Hampton Art Stamps rubber stamp(s)
Hampton Art Stamps ink
Hampton Art Stamps embossing inks
Hampton Art Stamps embossing powder
embossing heat gun
Therm O' Web "Keep a Memory" two-sided adhesive sheets
The Leather Factory craftsman contact cement
parchment paper (optional)
foam and paint brushes
1. To make clear stickers: Find and print out travel images or words (or search the Internet for quotes and sayings). Play with the colors and fonts to jazz up the inside of the journal.
2. Using a color photocopier, copy a mirror image onto the shiny side of Lazertran regular. Many copier machines will let you designate a mirror image in the copying options/menu.
3. Remove one side of the adhesive sheet and lay it, sticky side down, on the printed side of the printed Lazertran. Smooth surfaces together with brayer or by hand, removing any bubbles.
4. Paint the backing paper of the decal with water. Allow to soak in for 1 to 2 minutes.
The sheet will become transparent. Then slide off the backing paper. Apply more water if it does not slide off easily or dries before you can remove the backing. With a wet paper towel, gently wipe off any residue on the decal paper.
5. Cut into stickers with regular or decorative scissors. Remove adhesive backing and stick quote stickers throughout a blank journal. Pinprick any stubborn air bubbles and press to flatten.
6. Stamp images inside book as desired.
7. To prepare the leather: Cut a piece of leather 1/2 inch bigger than the front of the journal.
8. Paint the smooth side of the leather with diluted Lumiere metallic acrylic paint and let dry completely. This seals the leather and prepares it for the decals.
9. To decorate the journal cover: Using the craft hand drill, drill two holes in the back cover of the journal (approximately 1 inch from the two corners on the edge of the cover). Cut a piece of elastic and feed through the two holes. Tie inside back cover, making the elastic tight enough to stretch of the cover of the journal.
10. Copy travel photos onto the shiny side of the regular Lazertran. Wipe a non-static sheet on Lazertran and then stamp images onto it with embossing ink.
11. Sprinkle with embossing powder, shake off the excess, and emboss with heat gun.
12. Cut out the Lazertran photos and embossed images. Place in water for 1 or 2 minutes. It will roll up and the decal backing paper will become less opaque. Slide decal off backing paper and pat with paper towel to remove excess water.
13. Brush the area of the leather where the decals are to be placed with turpentine. Lay decal on turpentined area of leather.
Gently dab turpentine lightly on top of decal and let it sit overnight. The turpentine will dissolve the decal and the image will soak into the leather.
14. Paint with Leather Sheen or varnish to protect the decal and leather. Dry.
15. Paint contact cement onto the cover of the journal and the back of the leather. After 20 to 30 minutes, position the leather on the journal. Coat edges of leather and book, and fold leather over the journal cover, trimming corners to fit.
16. Cut a 3/4-inch strip of leather (length should be the height of the book plus 1 inch) and, with the suede side up, cement over the seam where the leather cover ends on the book cover.
17. Photocopy reversed/mirrored phrases or images onto Lazertran Silk. Melt hot glue onto the decal paper; flatten with parchment paper (careful, it is hot!). Cool and drop in water. The backing paper will slide off. Pat dry.
18. Put a dab of hot glue on the leather cover and adhere hot glue embellishments to the journal.
For polymer clay: Lazertran Silk transfers images to polymer clay. Condition and roll a light color of FIMO Soft (so the design shows up well) into a sheet. Place printed Lazertran Silk onto polymer and let set for 20 minutes. Drop polymer and Lazertran into water and let soak for a minute or two so that the paper releases from the polymer. Remove the FIMO from the water, shake off excess water, and let it sit for 20 more minutes. This allows the image to dissolve into the polymer. Cut into small pieces, bake per manufacturer's guidelines, and adhere to journal.
For friendly plastic: Print image on Lazertran Silk. Heat griddle to approximately 300 degrees. Place light-colored Friendly Plastic on Silpat or nonstick baking sheet (placed on griddle). Heat until it is completely melted on the top (it will be shiny and smooth on top). Lay the printed side of the Lazertran Silk on the melted area. Use a pencil or tool to smooth the Lazertran onto the hot Friendly Plastic. Remove (with nonstick baking sheet) from heat and drop in water. Paper will fall off Friendly Plastic and leave image on it. Hot glue embellishment to journal.