Create a Mixed Media Photo Emulsion Transfer
Merge painting and photography into a unique personal expression with this project.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Follow these step-by-step instructions to put your artistic ability on tile.
Materials and Tools:
painting (or image of choice)
color photocopies of both images
wide, soft brush
hair dryer (optional)
1. Cut and paste the photocopies onto a piece of cardboard with glue in a collage manner. Add spray paint for embellishment.
2. Laser-print the collage on photo-transfer paper. Cut the laser-print design to fit the tile or the surface.
3. Pour hot water into a 3-inch-deep tray. Soak the design in the hot water until the paper uncurls.
4. Lay the design on the tile. Slowly slide the top layer away from the white blocking paper, holding the design lightly in place with your fingertips.
5. Remove all the air bubbles from the tile and the design by going over the design with a wide, soft brush dipped in water.
6. Use a napkin or a paper towel to remove any excess water from the surface. Let the design air-dry for about 10 minutes (a hair dryer will speed the drying process).
7. Place the art on a metal rack in a 300-degree oven for one minute to set the design to the tile.
Turn your favorite images into framed pieces of art with these simple steps.