Button-On Wall Quilt
Instructions and templates provided courtesy of guest Marinda Stewart.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Make a background quilted frame approximately 32-1/2" x 37-1/2". Make several 20-1/2" x 25" button-on quilt insets to change out with the seasons or for special occasions.
Decorative Quilted Frame
Materials and Tools:
fabric: 1/4 yard tan, 1/8 yard gold, 7/8 yard medium brown print, 2-1/8 yard dark brown print
24, 1" faux bone buttons
crib batting 45" x 60"
rotary cutter, mat, ruler
scissors, straight pins, hand sewing needle
fabric basting spray
optional - four, 1-3/4" wood buttons; 12, 3/4" carved heart buttons; eight, 1" wood buttons
1. From dark brown print cut one piece to measure 21" x 26" for center of frame.
2. Border 1: From tan fabric cut four, two-inch wide strips. Sew one strip to top and one to bottom of center frame and one strip to each side.
3. Border 2: From medium brown print cut out four, two-inch strips. Dew one strip to top and one to bottom of center frame and one strip to each side.
4. Border 3: From gold cut four 7/8-inch wide strips. Sew to top and bottom and sides of frame.
5. Border 4: From dark brown print cut four, three-inch side strips and sew to top and bottom and each side of frame.
6. From dark brown print, cut out backing 34" x 40". Cut batting the same size. Layer backing, batting and quilt top. Baste to hold together using basting spray and following manufacturer’s directions. Quilt as desired.
7. For rod pocket cut a 5-1/4" x 36" strip from medium brown print fabric. Turn under raw edges on both short ends and one long edge. Pin unfolded long edge to edge of quilt top.
8. For binding cut four 1-3/4" wide strips from dark brown print and bind all four sides. Hand stitch lower edge of rod pocket in place on back side of quilt.
9. On inner border #1 sew seven buttons equally spaced on each long side and five buttons equally spaced on each short side = 24 total.
10. Optional - If adding decorative buttons, sew a 1-3/4-inch button in one corner, a 3/4-inch heart button on top of wooden button; and 5/8 inches away on either side of wooden button sew one, one-inch button. Again, sew a 3/4-inch heart button on 5/8 inch away from either side of wooden button.. Repeat for all four sides of frame.