Beaded Leaf Choker & Earrings
Project by Linda Welsh-Peterson.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
brown 22-gauge Artistic Wire
tiny gold metallic marbles
fish hook earring findings
sheet of double-sided adhesive
Before you begin, get a feel for how the wire bends. To create nice curves in the wire, hold it in your hand. Notice that while rubbing one side of the wire, it tends to curve and bow.
1. Cut a 12-inch length of brown wire. Place the wire flat on the table (draw a leaf to use as a pattern, or form it free-hand) and hold with your pointer finger. Using your left pointer finger to guide it, curve the wire gently into your shape. To create a sharp bend, place pliers on the wire and bend.
2. Create a loop and wrap around wire extension. Repeat these steps for as many leaves as you would like on your pendant.
3. Peel back lining on sticky sheet and press the wire shape onto the sticky surface. Replace the liner over the wire and smooth it down with your fingers, making sure all wire points touch the tape.
4. Cut out around the shape.
5. Remove the liner and use it to mask half of the leaf.
6. Add leaf veins by pressing short pieces of wire with one end looped down the center of leaf and extensions to leaf petals.
7. Sprinkle exposed tape with tiny gold beads.
8. Remove the liner and sprinkle on coordinating beads. Tap off any excess.
11. Thread on beads as desired. Loop wire towards the back and wrap wire around under beads to create pendant loop. Finish by coiling the extra wire or trim off if desired.
12. To make the choker: Place leaf pendant(s) on the choker first.
13. Thread beads onto the 26-gauge wire and secure this wire to the choker by wrapping several times. Wrap beads around choker, evenly spacing the leaf pendants. Use this beaded wire to secure the pendants in place.
Create leaf earrings in the same manner as the pendant, using a smaller shape or pattern. Attach to pre-purchased fish-hook earring findings or create your own.
Alternative Design: Glue a pin back to the leaf to create an elegant accessory. Combine with another leaf for a more bold statement.
Make a delicate decoration for your hair with pearls, crystal beads and silver jewelry wire.