'Angry Women' Metal Necklace
Catherine Butler from Cleveland Heights, Ohio, creates a humorous necklace with three epoxy inlaid metal female figures in various stages of feeling frustrated and disgruntled.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
copper and nickel silver sheet metal
epoxy 330 two-part resin
copper and sterling silver tubing
medium and easy sterling silver hard solder
black and cream matte finish delica glass beads
sterling silver crimp beads
jump rings and lobster clasp
40# Beadalon cord
3/0 jeweler's saw blades
fine-grit emery cloth
liver of sulfur
steel stamping tools
1. Draw out each half body on metal, first in pencil than in permanent fine point marker.
2. Saw out the shapes with a jeweler's saw #3/0 blade, file all rough or uneven spots, and sand both sides with emery cloth.
3. Solder the pieces together with a torch using medium (1390 F degree) solder. Pickle in Sparex; rinse and scrub with powdered pumice.
4. File off excess solder and sand out all file marks with emery cloth.
5. Draw on details of face and hair. Stamp patterns into body area for inlay using leather mallet and steel stamping tools on anvil.
6. Drill eyes and mouths .Saw out details of hair, and then sand again.
7. Cut short lengths of copper tubing and solder onto backs of pieces using easy (1325 F degree) solder. Pickle, rinse, and scrub with pumice.
8. Inlay epoxy mixed with powdered pigments — mix two-part epoxy 330 with various powdered pigments to create desired color. Use dental tool to carefully apply color into the appropriate indentations. Let dry overnight.
9. Sand off excess epoxy using fine-grit emery cloth. Wear a dust mask to avoid breathing toxic dust.
10. Bend hair using various needle nose and forming pliers. File sharp points smooth.
11. Wash with dish soap and pumice. Patina in liver of sulfur solution, rinse, pumice away unwanted patina, rinse, dry thoroughly and wax.
12. String delica glass beads onto 40# Beadalon. Finish ends with crimp beads and attach clasp.
Web site: www.catherinebutlerjewelry.com
Make a delicate decoration for your hair with pearls, crystal beads and silver jewelry wire.