Alpaca Stamped Tile
How to make decorative handmade tiles.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Project by Karen Ami from Chicago.
Not too many young mothers of five have time to make and teach ceramics and mosaics, operate a recording studio, and raise a herd of alpacas! But Karen, multitasker extraordinaire, has been working with ceramics for the past 25 years. She likes to celebrate her love for alpacas by putting their image on handmade tiles. These glazed hand-carved tiles can be created over and over again from a reverse image stamp she makes first, featuring her prized animals.
clay carving tools
1. Roll slab of clay and cut out square (wrap scrap slab in plastic for later use).
2. Let slab air dry 2 to 3 hours.
3. Etch design into tile with pin tool and carve into tile.
4. Let dry and load into kiln. Fire kiln and let cool overnight. Unload kiln.
5. Press fired clay into clay slab.
6. Dry tiles and glaze.
7. Load kiln and fire.
The Landscape Smart team decides to incorporate a Spanish style by turning an old fireplace into a focal point with colorful...
This couple needs help transforming their empty basement into a lively space for entertaining.(2 photos)
Zella Bardsley colors her metal fish with an oxygen/acetylene torch to create her mixed media rainbow trout wall sculpture.