Accordion Book with Pressed Botanicals
Use these step-by-step instructions to make a decorative botanical book.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Project by Brigid Greene of Mission, Kan.
dried and pressed botanicals
white glue for plants
PVA glue for book board
impermeable surface for glue
moist cheese cloth for clean up
disk for cheese cloth
long acid-free card stock for accordion
other acid-free card stock for mounting the plants
bone smoothing tool
flat-head paint brush for PVA
small paint brush for plants
medium paint brush for rubber cement
1. Cut four paper squares for mounting pressed plants.
2. Select all leaves or plants from press. Decide where they go on the paper; mark with marking tape.
3. Paint underside of leaf with glue and adhere. Press down with moist cheesecloth and wipe up spilled glue spots, if any. Press with phone book and parchment paper and set aside. Repeat as needed.
4. To cover the book board: Cut book board and fabric.
5. Position book board on fabric and mark with pencil or on sides with marking tape. Apply glue. Position book board on fabric. Smooth down.
6. Turn over, apply glue to underside of fabric, fold edges and glue down.
7. To make the accordion: Use dry book board and measure width. Cut a strip of paper slightly wider than needed. Measure where first fold should go. Lightly score fold.
8. Fold first fold. Score next fold using previous section as location for score. Continue until complete.
9. Mark positions for location of mounted botanicals. Glue down with rubber cement. Insert parchment paper and press down in middle of phone book, set aside.
10. Do the final gluing of accordion paper to book board and press.
11. Finish with ribbon or suede tie.