Green Bedroom Ideas
Improve sleep quality and cut energy use in the bedroom.
- Excerpted from Houseworks, by Cynthia Townley Ewer
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Reach for sweet, sustainable dreams in the bedroom with these ideas to cut energy use and improve sleep quality:
- Warm it up. Add an electric blanket or down comforter to the bed to replace standard blankets, then lower the thermostat in winter to save on heating costs.
- Chill out. In summer, a bedroom ceiling fan circulates air for comfortable sleep and lowers the need for air conditioning.
- Buy organic. Sleeping in your bed for eight hours each night can mean maximum exposure to the chemicals and resins found in synthetic materials. When buying sheets or mattresses, go for organic fibers to lower exposure to toxins.
- Pick the right paint. Even when dry, standard paints continue to emit VOCs or volatile organic compounds. Preserve a clean environment in the bedroom by using low- or no-VOC paint on bedroom walls.
Excerpted from Houseworks, by Cynthia Townley Ewer
Text Copyright © 2006, 2010, Cynthia Townley Ewer, extracts from Houseworks, reproduced with permission from Dorling Kindersley Limited
A bedroom should be a haven from life's chaos, a place to relax and unwind. But it's hard to feel serene when looking at piles...
Illuminate your dreamy bedroom retreat with luxurious lighting, from antique bedside sconces to contemporary pendant fixtures....(12 photos)
Creating a comfortable and chic home is about infusing your personal style into every space, especially the bedroom —...(6 photos)