How to Refinish an Antique Bathtub
Clean it up and smooth over the rough patches with these step-by-step instructions.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
After this project, you'll have earned that soak in your newly refinished claw-foot tub. Here's how to give it a smooth new surface:
Materials and Tools:
high-velocity, low-pressure sprayer and compressor
small paper cup
5-in-1 painter's tool
240-grit and 1,500-grit sandpaper
two-part filler putty (auto-body putty)
fine filler putty
1. Set up an exhaust fan to vent toxic fumes to the outside.
2. Rough-clean and scrape the bathtub surface to remove bits of old gaskets and other materials, using the painter's tool. Wipe away any debris with a sponge.
3. Wearing safety glasses and rubber gloves, clean the tub with part one of the two-part cleansing solution. Pour some of the part-one solution into the tub and scrub thoroughly with 240-grit sandpaper. This removes any soap residue and grease.
4. Thoroughly clean and rinse the tub. Pour some of the step-two solution into the tub and scour with scouring pads. This roughs the surface, allowing the new paint to adhere better. Clean the tub thoroughly, and dry with paper towels.
5. Wipe down the tub with primer reducer and paper towels to remove any traces of the previous two chemicals.
6. Mix the two-part filler putty and fill in damaged areas around the drain opening, using a putty knife. Allow about 30 minutes for the putty to dry, and then come back and sand it smooth with a fine-grit sandpaper.
7. Wipe away dust and clean the area with a paper towel and primer reducer. Repeat the putty process to fill in any other damaged areas.
9. Mix the three elements for the base coat (primer, catalyst and reducer) in the sprayer. Follow manufacturer's instructions when mixing.
10. Connect the sprayer to the compressor and pressurize the system.
12. Allow the first coat about 30 minutes to dry. While waiting, mix paint for the top coat.
13. Apply the top coat and allow to dry. It will take about 48 hours for the paint to cure. After that time, come back with ultrafine 1,500-grit sandpaper and buff away any imperfections.
The ugliest bathroom in America gets a fashion makeover you won't believe.(video 00:03:10)
Explore our pictures of beautiful, luxurious bathtubs for ideas and inspiration on ways to improve your bathroom retreat.(99 photos)