Papier-Mache Sunburst Mirror
You'll be the brightest of them all with this mirror on your wall. Follow these step-by-step instructions for making a papier-mâché sunburst mirror.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
glass cutter *
glass breaker *
glass/tile nippers *
safety glasses *
newspaper for work surface
hanger for back
* Note: You can have a glass shop cut a 3¾-by-3¾-inch mirror for you and skip step 2 below.
1. Trace the pattern onto card stock and cut it out with scissors .
2. Prepare a hard, sturdy surface to cut a 3¾-by-3¾-inch mirror. Put on a pair of safety glasses. Cut the mirror with a glass cutter and nippers (see note, above).
3. Cut a piece of self-adhesive paper (full-sheet label) to the size of mirror. Peel off the backing and cover the mirror with paper.
4. With a compass, draw a circle on the paper. This will determine the part of the mirror that shows in the finished piece.
5. Glue the back of the mirror to the center of the card stock.
6. Mix papier-mâché according to package directions.
7. Prepare your work surface with newspaper. Mold the papier-mâché onto the cut pattern, adding height to give it a three-dimensional look. Let it dry completely.
8. Sand all the rough surfaces and edges.
9. Paint with gesso to seal the surface and prepare it for painting.
10. Paint with your base color. Sponge on or brush a darker color to create shadows and depth. Let the paint dry.
11. Coat the sun with clear acrylic spray.
12. With the blade, carefully cut away the adhesive paper to expose the mirror. Note: Cut around the outer edge so that if you accidentally scratch the mirror, it won't show.
13. Turn over and screw in the hanger.
Follow these step-by-step instructions on getting the weight distribution right when hanging a large, heavy mirror.
Maximize a room's style with a well-placed mirror. Interior designers share their top tips for decorating with mirrors...(10 photos)
Mirror frames come in all different shapes and sizes. Get inspired to decorate your home with these mirror frame photos.(7 photos)