Handmade Vintage Lampshade
Follow these step-by-step instructions on how to add shades of yesteryear to your decor.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
wire lampshade frame
iron and ironing board
fabric for lining
decorative items: beads, jewelry pieces, etc.
1. Wrap the entire lampshade frame tightly in a seam binding.
2. Measure and cut the fabric for lining. Pin the lining fabric to the lamp and sew. Cut the excess fabric off.
3. Cut decorative fabrics of choice and attach them to lamp in the same way.
4. Measure and cut chiffon for the rosettes. Fold the edge over 3 inches and sew the running stitch. Wrap the thread around pompom and tie in a knot.
5. Dye to the desired color and let it dry (optional).
6. Stretch the rosette across the panel and pin it into place. Sew as before. Cut off the excess fabric.
7. Cut the decorative trim and glue onto the shade to hide the stitches. Use pins to secure and let dry. Remove the pins.
8. Measure the circumference of the bottom of the lampshade and cut the fringe.
9. Dye fringe to the desired color, if using rayon fringe. Pin the fringe on and sew as before.
10. Add the final trim around the bottom, covering the stitching of the fringe.
11. Add any additional final touches (beads, jewels, ribbons, etc.).
Do you have have leftover fabric? Put it to good use by embellishing a lampshade in 3 easy steps.