HGTV's Change the World Volunteer of the Month Contest: Official Rules
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
The following promotion is intended for viewing in the United States only (including its territories, possessions, and commonwealths) and will be construed and evaluated according to United States laws. Do not proceed in this site if you are not a legal U.S. resident, 18 years or older who is a long-term volunteer and/or an individual involved in his/her community, and accessing this site in the United States, its territories, possessions, or commonwealths.
1. How to Enter: Home & Garden Television (“HGTV”) HGTV’s “Change the World Volunteer of the Month Contest” (the “Contest”) is a nationwide search to identify twelve (12) individuals have made a positive impact through community service. The Contest begins at 8:00 a.m. (Eastern Time [“ET”]) on November 11, 2009, and ends at 5:00 p.m. (ET) on November 30, 2010 (the “Contest Period”). Participants must submit content by uploading content via computer as follows: (i) one (1) video about the applicant’s community-based work (no longer than two (2) minutes) OR one (1) photo of the applicant (if video format is not available); and (ii) a short description (250 character limitation including spaces and punctuation) describing how the applicant has “changed the world” in his/her community (collectively, the “Submissions”). Entrants must be a long-term (minimum of one (1) year) volunteer in some capacity outside of his/her own home, cannot be paid for his/her work, and cannot be associated with organizations with a particular political or religious point of view. Volunteering for non-profits (501(c)(3) organizations) and for private parties is also acceptable. Entrants must visit the HGTV website (www.hgtv.com) (the “Website”) and complete the online entry form online (limit one (1) online entry, per valid email address, per eligible person). Each entry must also include entrant’s full name, age, address, phone number (including area code), and e-mail address. All email entries must be received by 4:59:59 p.m. ET on November 30, 2010 to be eligible. All late, misdirected, undeliverable, illegible, incomplete entries will be disqualified. Scripps Networks, LLC d/b/a HGTV (“Main Sponsor”) will not verify receipt of entries. All entries submitted become the sole property of Main Sponsor, and will not be returned. Any attempt by any entrant to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void that participant’s plays and that entrant may be disqualified.
2. Eligibility: To enter the Contest, as of November 11, 2009, you must be a lawful permanent resident of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia, be 18 years of age or older, and be a long-term volunteer and/or an individual who is involved within his/her community. Entrants who have won a prize in any Scripps Networks, LLC promotion in the ninety (90) days prior to the commencement of the Contest are ineligible. Contest is void where restricted or prohibited by law. The Contest, and any website pages and advertisements relating thereto, is intended for viewing only within the fifty (50) United States (including its territories, possessions, and commonwealths), and the District of Columbia. You are not authorized to participate in the Contest if you are not located within the fifty (50) United States (including its territories, possessions, and commonwealths) or the District of Columbia and a long-term community volunteer. The Contest is not open to employees, or members of their households and/or immediate families (spouses, parents, siblings, children and each of their respective spouses), of Scripps Networks, LLC, participating affiliates, participating retailers, promotional partners, and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and their advertising and promotion agencies (collectively, the “Contest Entities”). The Contest is governed by U.S. law and is subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
3. Winning/Notification: Twelve (12) finalists (the “Finalists”) will be selected monthly based upon the criteria described below starting on or about January 13, 2010 from among all eligible entries received by 4:59:59 p.m. (ET) on the date immediately prior to the applicable month during the Contest Period. The potential Finalists will be notified by telephone, email, and/or overnight mail delivery during the first week prior to the respective month for which they will be featured on the Website (the “Website Feature”), or on such other date as determined by Main Sponsor. The names of the Finalists will be posted on the Website on a monthly basis as the information becomes available.
Main Sponsor’s notification to Finalists does not guarantee placement on the Website. The Finalists will be selected from all entries received based on the creativity and originality of the most compelling Submissions which highlight an individual in their community who has “changed the world” based on both the written portion and the video Submission by each entrant. All eligible entries will be judged for a spot as a Finalist by Main Sponsor. Main Sponsor’s decisions with respect to the Finalists, and other matters pertaining to the Contest shall be final. If Main Sponsor is unable to contact a potential Finalist, if potential Finalist fails to complete and return all forms by the specified date, or if potential Finalist fails to comply with any of the requirements, or if any winner notification is returned as undeliverable, an alternate winner shall be selected from remaining eligible entries based on the contest criteria set forth below. Entries will be judged on the following criteria with the applicable percentages weighted:
- video or photo, as applicable, highlighting the applicant’s community-based work (50%)
- written explanation describing how the applicant has “changed his or her world” (50%)
Prior to selection of the Finalists, entrants and/or their Submissions may be featured on the Website; however, in no way shall such promotion influence the selection of the Finalists. The Finalists will be announced on the Website on or about the first day of each applicable month during the Contest Period.
4. Finalist Prizing:
(A) Each Finalist will receive: (i) Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000) (awarded in the form of a check); and (ii) will be featured on the Website for approximately one (1) calendar month. Total Value of Finalist Prizing: $60,000.
(B) In addition, Scripps Networks will donate $5,000 on behalf of each Finalist to Rebuilding Together (a Scripps charitable partner). Total Value of Scripps donation: $60,000.
Total Value of all prizes in this Contest: $120,000.
Any additional expenses not specifically identified as included in the Finalist Prizing are the sole responsibility of each respective winner. All costs, taxes, fees, and expenses associated with any element of the Finalist Prizing not specifically addressed above are the sole responsibility of the respective winner. All federal, state, and local taxes on the Finalist Prizing are the respective winner’s responsibility. The specifics of all aforementioned elements of the Website Feature and Finalist Prizing in the Contest shall be solely determined by the Contest Entities. If Finalist does not agree with all of the foregoing elements associated with being a Finalist, the Website Feature will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected. Main Sponsor reserves the right not to feature any winner on television, the internet, or in any other media. Main Sponsor may also remove the content of any Website Feature on a date to be determined by Main Sponsor in its sole discretion. All prizes will be awarded.
5. Prize Conditions: Finalists will be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release, and a Publicity Release (“Affidavit/Release”), to be signed and returned within seven (7) days of notification date. If a potential winner is found to be ineligible, or if a potential winner fails to complete and return all requested forms by the specified date or if a winner fails to comply with any of the requirements herein, his/her position as a Finalist will be forfeited and an alternate winner shall be selected. If winner notifications are returned as undeliverable, this will result in disqualification and an alternate winner will be selected. All federal, state or other tax liabilities (including income taxes) arising from this Contest will be the sole responsibility of the respective winner, if applicable. Except where prohibited by law, a potential winner’s entry and acceptance of the position as a Finalist constitutes permission for the Contest Entities to use said potential winner’s name, photograph, likeness, statements, biographical information, voice, and city and state address on a worldwide basis, and in all forms of media, in perpetuity, without further compensation. The Finalist Prizing cannot be transferred, substituted or redeemed for cash except at Main Sponsor’s sole discretion. Main Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the Finalist Prizing, or portions thereof, with a prize of equal or greater value in its sole discretion.
6. Contest Conditions: All Submissions become the property of the Contest Entities, and cannot be returned, and may be deemed a “promotional tool” of the Contest Entities under US copyright law. Entrant further agrees that the Contest Entities shall be the exclusive owner of the entry, including all copyrights and trademarks associated with any images or descriptions, and the Contest Entities or their assigned agent(s), will have the right to reproduce, publish, adapt, modify and/or revise the written entries, videos or any part of the entrants’ Submissions, in its sole discretion, in any manner or form throughout the world, in perpetuity. Entries are deemed void if forged or if obtained/submitted outside authorized channels. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor and Contest Administrator, which shall be final and waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Contest or these Official Rules. Finalists and entrants also agree to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless the Contest Entities and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents from and against any claims, damages or liability due to any injuries, damages or losses to any person (including death) or property of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Contest-related activity or participation in this Contest. This Contest is subject to all applicable Federal and Municipal laws and all State and local regulations. This offer is void where prohibited and/or restricted by law.
7. Limitations of Liability: The Contest Entities their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, parent corporations, and their respective officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents, and any and all Internet servers and access provider(s) are not responsible for: any incorrect or inaccurate entry information; human error; technical malfunctions of any kind; failures, omission, interruption, deletion, or defect of any telephone network, computer online systems, computer equipment, server providers, or software, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participation in this Contest; inability to access the Website; theft, tampering, destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of entries; printing or human or other errors; and any entries which are late, lost, incomplete, misdirected, stolen, mutilated, illegible, or any combination thereof. Proof of mailing or in person submission is not considered proof of delivery or receipt. Main Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a spot as a Finalist if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair playing practices or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Main Sponsor’s representatives. If for any reason this Contest is not capable of running as planned, including, but not limited to tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or any other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupt in any way or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, fulfillment or proper conduct of the promotion, then Main Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest and select a winner by randomly drawing from those entries received up to the cancellation/suspension date. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEY’S FEES) FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
8. Rules/Winners’ List: Starting on or about January 13, 2010, you may obtain the names of the winners as they become available by consulting the Website. Results of the Contest will be removed on or about December 31, 2010.
9. Main Sponsor: Scripps Networks, LLC d/b/a Home & Garden Television, 9721 Sherrill Boulevard, Knoxville, TN 37932.
HGTV's Carter Oosterhouse and Monica Pedersen, along with more than 200 volunteers from Rebuilding Together, worked together to...(15 photos)
Monica Pedersen, Carter Oosterhouse and hundreds of helpers transform a home for returning veterans in Philadelphia.(4 photos)