HGTV's Raise A Roof College Challenge Official Rules
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
HGTV’s Raise A Roof College Challenge
Official Rules 2012
1. NO PURCHASE OR PERSONAL DONATION NECESSARY TO PARTICIPATE OR WIN A PRIZE. VOID ANYWHERE OUTSIDE OF THE 50 US (DC), AND WHEREVER PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
2. Eligibility: HGTV's Raise A Roof College Challenge (the "Contest") is open to permanent legal U.S. residents who are eighteen (18) years of age or older, and who are students that are currently enrolled and in good standing at either the University of Michigan ("UMich"), or The Ohio State University ("OSU"). Employees, directors and officers of Scripps Networks, LLC ("Sponsor"), Fuse, LLC ("Administrator"), Rebuilding Together ("Promotional Partner") and any of their respective affiliates, parents, subsidiary companies, and advertising and promotion agencies (collectively with Facebook, Inc., the "Released Parties"), and members of the immediate families (spouses, parents, children, and siblings and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside), and/or those living in the same household, of any of the foregoing, are not eligible. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws. By participating in this Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the interpretations of these Official Rules by Sponsor and Administrator, and by the decisions of Sponsor or Administrator, which are final in all matters relating to this Contest.
4. How To Participate/Tracking/Reporting: Once a Team Leader has set up their team, and at least one (1) additional Team Member has joined that team, such Team Leader and Team Member(s) can begin to raise funds through various methods as they see fit. If a Team Leader and/or Team Member decide to solicit funds via email, text, social media, etc., such Team Leader and/or Team Member must include their Unique Social Sharing Link/Tag in their solicitation. When a prospective donor ("Donor") clicks the Unique Social Sharing Link/Tag in such solicitation, and makes a donation via the Charitable Checkout System, such donation will automatically be credited to such Team Leader or Team Member as an individual, as well as such Team Leader's or Team Member's Team as a whole. Donors will be able to make donations via various methods utilizing the Charitable Checkout System, including but not limited to, via the mobile widget, via the non-mobile widget, via text, and/or via the aggregated donation form (if cash was collected, as detailed in the following sentence). For example, if a Team decides to solicit funds via non-online methods (e.g., bake sale, car wash) where cash is collected from Donors, the Team Leader or an agreed upon Team Member must tally the cash collected and then use the Charitable Checkout Widget's aggregated donation form (the "Aggregated Donation Form") to make a donation in that amount utilizing his/her own credit card. Such designated Team Leader or Team Member will be responsible for deciding which Team Member or Team Members will get the credit for donations made through the Aggregated Donation Form (the options range from the Team deciding to let one Team Member remit the entire amount or have each Team Member remit their pro-rata portion.
5. Leaderboard/Prizes: Throughout the Contest Period, up until November 30, 2012, a leaderboard (the "Leaderboard") will live on the Contest Application website, and it will keep a regularly updated display of the top Teams' charitable fundraising progress. The Leaderboard will go dark on November 30, 2012; therefore, Teams will not know which Team is in the lead for the last week of the Contest Period. Regardless of what the Leaderboard shows, Sponsor's and Administrator's decisions are final and binding when selecting the winning Teams (as well as Individual winners). Sponsor and/or Administrator will not accept any screenshots of the Leaderboard in lieu of their tally and verification process. Individual tallies will never be shown on the Leaderboard.
On December 14, 2012, the two (2) potential winning Teams and the one (1) potential winning Individual will be announced, and the potential winning Teams and Individual will be contacted for acceptance/verification as further detailed below. Once verified, the below prizes will be awarded.
- Team Prizes: Two (2) Team Prizes (the "Team Prize(s)") will be awarded in this Contest. At the end of the Contest Period, the one (1) Team from UMich and the one (1) Team from OSU that tallied the highest funds raised in their respective colleges throughout the Contest Period, in Sponsor's and Administrator's sole discretion, will each win a Team Prize. In the event of a tie of two (2) or more Teams' total funds raised, the Team that raised the funds "first in time," at Sponsor's and Administrator's discretion, will be declared the winning Team. The Team Prize will consist of HGTV shooting a special that may air on both HGTV and DIY Network where both winning Teams' Team Members will have the opportunity to be featured. The special will document the winning Teams' Team Members renovating a home in their town while competing for bragging rights. Rebuilding Together will identify the home in each town and the work will be on par for both renovations. The approximate retail value ("ARV") of each Team Prize is zero dollars ($0.00) as there is no monetary value/benefit given to the Team Members. As a side benefit of being a Team Member of either of these two (2) winning Teams, since Sponsor has already agreed to donate twenty five thousand dollars ($25,000) to each of the two (2) local Rebuilding Together Charities (Detroit and Central Ohio), Sponsor agrees to include the names of the Team Members of the two (2) winning Teams as mentions in such donations.
- Individual Prize: One (1) Individual Prize (the "Individual Prize") will be awarded in this Contest. At the end of the Contest Period, the one (1) person who tallied the highest funds raised (regardless of college) throughout the Contest Period, in Sponsor's and Administrator's sole discretion, will win the Individual Prize. In the event of a tie of two (2) or more Individual's total funds raised, the Individual that raised the funds "first in time," at Sponsor's and Administrator's discretion, will be declared the winning individual. The Individual Prize winner will receive one (1) check for ten thousand dollars ($10,000) which can be used toward college tuition. The ARV of the Individual Prize is ten thousand dollars ($10,000).
6. General Prize Conditions: The total ARV of all prizes available to be awarded in this Contest is ten thousand dollars ($10,000). In no event will Sponsor be responsible for awarding more than the stated number of prizes detailed herein. Prize conditions may be added or modified by companies providing those portions of the prize. The prize restrictions/conditions stated herein are not all-inclusive and may be added at a later date, if applicable. No transfer, substitution or cash equivalent for any prize, in whole or in part, will be permitted except at Sponsor's sole discretion due to prize unavailability for any reason, and only then for a prize of greater or equal value (determined by Sponsor) shall be allowed. All prize details, including but not limited to selection of production/filming destination and dates for the on-air special, are at Sponsor's sole discretion and Producer's production schedules. Team Prize winners may be required to spend extended time at production/filming location, at Team Members' expense. Team Prize winners may receive less than thirty (30) days notice prior to production/filming date. If production is cancelled or rescheduled, if for any reason Sponsor is unable to film or air this on-air special, or if Team Prize winner(s) is/are not able to appear on location on the necessary dates, or remain for the duration specified by Sponsor, Sponsor shall have no further obligation to such Team or Team Member(s) other than to make the donation on their behalf. The producers may require that Team Prize winners sign additional documents relating to their on-air appearances. The Released Parties cannot guarantee that if the Team Prize winners participate in the on-air special filming portion of the Team Prize, that the Team Prize winner(s) appearance(s) will be used or appear in the final edited version of any media production, or that the production itself is ever aired. All expenses relating to acceptance of the Team Prize not explicitly stated herein, including but not limited to, travel, meals, etc., are solely the responsibility of the Team Prize winners. Sponsor, and/or any other relevant party, reserves the right to remove or to deny entry to any Team Prize winner if they act in a non-sportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person at the production set.
7. Prize Winner Notification/Verification: No potential Individual Prize or Team Prize winner(s) is/are an official winner unless and until Sponsor confirms such. The potential Individual Prize winner will be notified via telephone and/or email, in accordance with the contact information provided at the time of registration, on or about December 14, 2012. Administrator will make two (2) attempts, two (2) days apart, to contact the potential Individual Prize winner via such method(s). Potential Individual Prize winner will have four (4) calendar days from the time of the first notification attempt to respond to Administrator or else Administrator will move on and notify an alternate potential Individual Prize winner (who tallied the next highest total funds raised amount). Once contact is made, potential Individual Prize winner will be required to sign and return to Sponsor an Affidavit of Acceptance, Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release (where lawful), as well as a W-9 Form (collectively the "Prize Claim Documents"). Individual Prize winner will receive an IRS 1099 Form at the end of the tax year in which they receive the Individual Prize for the actual value of the Individual Prize. Administrator must receive all Prize Claim Documents by the due date indicated during the notification correspondence, or on the Prize Claim Documents. If potential Individual Prize winner fails to respond in the time period specified above, if any Prize Claim Documents are not returned within the number of days specified, if any notification or notification attempt is returned as undeliverable or as an error, or the potential Individual Prize winner declines their prize, then the prize may be forfeited and an alternate potential Individual Prize winner will be selected, at the Sponsor's sole discretion. The Team Leader of the potential Team Prize winning Team will be contacted via telephone and/or email, in accordance with the contact information provided at the time of registration, on or about December 14, 2012. The potential Team Prize winning Team Leader will be required to accept the prize on his/her Team's behalf and confirm their eligibility to participate in the production/filming of the on-air special. Administrator will make two (2) attempts, two (2) days apart, to contact the potential Team Prize winning Team's Team Leader via such method(s). Team Leader winner will have four (4) calendar days from the time of the first notification attempt to respond to Administrator or else Administrator will move on and notify an alternate potential Team Leader (of the Team that tallied the next highest total funds raised amount). All prize winners are encouraged to check with their tax advisors in regards to any tax liabilities, and any such liabilities will be their sole responsibility. If any notification attempt or prize delivery fails or is returned for any reason, such potential winning Team may forfeit the Team Prize, and Sponsor will select an alternate potential winning Team. Best efforts will be made to award all prizes. Administrator will continue to contact alternate potential winners (Team and Individual) until all prizes are awarded.
8. General: By participating in this Contest and/or being selected as a potential Individual or Team Prize winner, all Team Leaders and Team Members hereby consent to the use by the Released Parties of their registration and all information contained therein including but not limited to, name, fund raising methods, Team Name, likeness, opinions, images, statements and/or other indicia of persona, and personally identifiable information (collectively "Likeness"), for any and all uses and purposes (including, without limitation, for purposes of advertising and trade) in any media now known or hereinafter developed in any manner throughout the world (including, without limitation, the World Wide Web and on-air) in perpetuity without additional consideration (where legal), consent or prior review, and upon request will provide written consent to such use. All decisions of Sponsor and/or Administrator relating to the Contest are final. Noncompliance with any of these Official Rules may result in disqualification. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY PARTICIPANTS OR WINNERS OR ANY BEHAVIOR BY A TEAM LEADER OR TEAM MEMBER THAT WILL BRING SUCH LEADER/MEMBER OR SPONSOR INTO DISREPUTE (IN SPONSOR'S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH TEAM MEMBER'S DISQUALIFICATION FROM THE CONTEST AS WELL AS ANY/ALL PRIZE PRIVILEGES WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED. Released Parties assume no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate registration and/or fund raising tracking information, whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest or by any human error. Released Parties are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or other services, providers, computer equipment, software, mobile devices, widgets, and/or failure of any e-mail or text on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, including the Contest Application, or any combination thereof, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer or phone related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials/software in this Contest or for other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, or otherwise, relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the Leaderboard, the tallying and announcement of the prizes or in any Contest-related materials. If, for any reason, the Contest (or any portion thereof) is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest (or any portion thereof). Should the Contest (or any portion thereof) be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, notice will be posted on the Contest Application, or elsewhere as Sponsor sees fit, and any unawarded prizes will be awarded via random drawing from among all non-suspect, eligible Teams and Team Members received up until and or after (if applicable) the time of modification, cancellation or termination or in a manner that is fair and equitable as determined by Sponsor. All interpretations of these Official Rules and decisions by Sponsor are final. Sponsor reserves the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any Team Leader, Team Member and/or Teams that they suspect or find: (i) to have violated these official rules and/or their school's code of conduct; (ii) to have purposefully reported funds incorrectly and/or fraudulently; (iii) to be acting in violation of fundraising rules; (iv) to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to cheat, annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person; (v) to have provided inaccurate information in connection with this Contest; (vi) to have donated their personal funds in an attempt to win the Team and or Individual Prize. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY INDIVIDUAL OR TEAM TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE, WIDGET AND/OR APPLICATION ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. THE TENNESSEE COURTS (STATE AND FEDERAL) SHALL HAVE SOLE JURISDICTION OF ANY CONTROVERSIES REGARDING THE CONTEST AND THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE SHALL GOVERN THE CONTEST. EACH ENTRANT WAIVES ANY AND ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THESE COURTS AND HEREBY SUBMITS TO THE JURISDICTION OF THOSE COURTS. Participants agree that the Released Parties (a) shall not be responsible or liable for, and hereby release the Released Parties from, any claims, losses, damages or injuries of any kind (including death) resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in the Contest or any Contest-related activity (including fund raising activities), or from acceptance, receipt, possession and/or use/misuse or inability to use a prize, and (b) have not made any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, with respect to a prize. Released Parties shall not be liable for any injury, damage, loss, expense, accident, delay, inconvenience or irregularity that may be caused or contributed to (1) by any wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of any of their agents, servants, employees or independent contractors; (2) by any wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of any other person or entity not an employee of the Released Parties; or (3) by any other cause, condition or event whatsoever beyond the control of the Released Parties. Failure of Sponsor to enforce any provision herein shall not be deemed a waiver of such. Sponsor reserves the right to modify these rules for clarification and equitable purposes without materially affecting the terms and conditions of the Contest. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY PARTICIPANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN AWARDS FOR, AND PARTICIPANTS HEREBY WAIVE ALL RIGHTS TO CLAIM, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES WHATSOEVER. IN NO EVENT SHALL SPONSOR BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTICIPANT AND/OR WINNER FOR DAMAGES THAT EXCEED THE VALUE OF THE PRIZE TO BE AWARDED TO THE INDIVIDUAL IN THIS CONTEST. Team Members will be identified/declared by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of registration. In the event of a dispute over the identity of a winner, the natural person who is the authorized account holder of the email address submitted upon registration will be declared the potential winner. "Authorized account holder" of an e-mail address is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet Access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address
9. Request for the Name of Winners and/or Official Rules: For a list of the names of the winning Teams and Individual, available after the Contest Period has ended, and/or Official Rules, send a self-addressed stamped envelope, to be received by 1/31/13, to: HGTV's Raise A Roof College Challenge c/o Fuse Marketing, llc, P.O. Box 4509, Burlington, Vermont, 05406. Please note on the left-hand corner of your envelope if you are requesting the Names of Winners or Official Rules. Vermont residents may omit return postage if requesting a set of Official Rules.
10. Administrator: Fuse, LLC, P.O. Box 4509, Burlington, Vermont, 05406.
11. Sponsor: Scripps Networks, LLC, 9721 Sherrill Blvd, Knoxville TN 37932.
© 2012 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved